RSS Feed Print
Microsoft's Office Online - Free & Awsome Tool
GD Deckard
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2014 10:19 AM

Free Microsoft Word!

Use it simultaneously on your PC, Tablet & read it on your Phone*.

See it at https://office.live.com

OK, I'm behind the times but I was wowed by this & want to share it with other wowees. It's called, "Office Online," from Microsoft and it is a website where you can place your book as you write it. You can edit your work from a PC or tablet (and probably from your phone*, but I lack the technical expertise to know these things.) and the changes show up instantly on both, your PC and your tablet. Meaning, you can write, edit & print from whatever device is convenient to you. And the free service includes 15 gigabytes of storage.

To test it, I logged on and opened a free account with my iPad. Then I logged on with my PC and wrote a test message using their Microsoft Word. Then, I logged back on with my iPad and edited the message & printed it out. My work was automatically saved in a file on the site and the file was automatically saved on my PC. The service automatically saves your work and makes it available to you from your PC and from your tablet. Now you have the same full functionality that you always had on your computer, with the added bonus of being able to write from any device anywhere that can connect to the Internet.

If I had it to do all over again, I'd skip the PC and buy a tablet. That's all I need these days to write, edit & print with Microsoft Word.

(Oh, wait. I need my PC to play Fallout and Skyrim and Ultima Online. So I'd keep the PC but wouldn't have to buy Microsoft Office & could spend that money on more games : )

*Disclaimer: I just found this service so I'm no expert. For example, I can read my Word document on my Android phone but I've yet to figure out if it's possible to edit the document from my phone.

Jump to different Forum...