RSS Feed Print
How Hard of Soft is My Science Fiction?
Frank Darbe
Posted: Thursday, August 7, 2014 2:00 AM

Genre Science Fiction here at Book Country is divided into nine genre's which map quite well to the genre sections used by bookstores and publishers. When considering where to put my own novel that will soon be up for review, my  only  choices fell between Hard and Soft Science Fiction, because the novel clearly does not have the other attributes of the major sub-genres. My question, of course, became exactly how hard is my Science Fiction. In determining that, I stumbled over the following resource from TVTroopes.org, "Mohs Scale of Science Fiction Hardness." Moh scale runs from a 1 (Softest Science Fiction) to 6 (Real LIfe). I provide a useful scale to consider when we are attempting to decide just where a particular story should be placed.

The Hardness scale runs form 1 (Softest) to 6 (reality based fiction.).

I found this scale quite useful in decide how hard science fiction is. My own novel is a solid 3.This scale can be applied to all of the various sub genres.

Missy Kirtley
Posted: Sunday, November 8, 2015 1:10 PM

I really love this scale!  Reading this has helped me come to understand that my work is pretty much a 1.  And that's okay!  I'm good with being in the same category as Douglas Adams. xD

Thanks for posting!

Jump to different Forum...