RSS Feed Print
Cover Art,
Yellowcake
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2014 9:28 PM

So while I really should have been working this morning I fiddled around with a cover concept (I can get away with that at work, but not writing heh).

I couldn't find a category anywhere that fit, so I thought id drop it here...(hmm no way to post an image ... ok)

http://www.bookcountry.com/BookDetail.aspx?BookId=6207

Any thoughts people? Would it spark your interest? Would it put you off? What makes a good cover in your opinions?

Cheers

Al

Lucy Silag - Book Country Community Manager
Posted: Tuesday, April 15, 2014 1:58 PM

How cool! I love it!!!
Mimi Speike
Posted: Tuesday, April 15, 2014 2:14 PM

I think this is quite nice, but I wouldn't be able to resist trying out other solutions. What I'd play with are tendril extensions from the curve of the initial S and the tail of the final R whipped around and woven together below, interspersed with clues. Now, your solution is far better for an ebook that will be displayed in thumbnail view. That's our problem, isn't it? Readable at a small size. Something I'm thinking about right now. 

I can never tell if my idea works until I mock it up. It's just a thought. Might be a disaster. 

Also, whatever is going on on the right isn't as readable as it might be.

Whoops! I think my cat walked on the keyboard and I didn't notice until now.

--edited by Mimi Speike on 4/15/2014, 6:10 PM--

Yellowcake
Posted: Tuesday, April 15, 2014 4:46 PM

Thanks Lucy ... It's nearly there... (a lot closer than the words it's covering for

Yeah I know what you mean Mimi, I think I shall have a play with that. I must admit that I wasn't thinking of a 'real book" heh ... more the ebook cover, something that works on a phone screen.

One of the first pieces of art I did years ago was for a album cover, remember those, those big ol lumps of flat plastic, but jeez you could do some nice illustrations on the front. My dad did this huge painting of a robotic chess knight, it was about 3 foot square (as a 16 year old i worked the dark room and did paste up art).  this was it ... anyway, when we had to re-work it for CD, my ol man was horrified heh ... I don't think I'll ever forget him bitchin and moanin, saying that these stupid little CD things will never catch on.

With the invention of CD's came the end of an era, now with ipods ect, cover art has evolved to a completely different animal hey. Its a shame, but that's progress I guess. ah nostalgia ... it's not what it used to be yaknow

BTW, whats going on with the "123 ... qwerty" stuff? or is it just me that sees that?

Mimi Speike
Posted: Tuesday, April 15, 2014 6:12 PM

I think my cat walked on my keyboard and I didn't notice.
Mimi Speike
Posted: Wednesday, April 16, 2014 3:54 PM

An interesting cover (that I love) is that of The Night Guest. I can get hold of a pdf of the text. But I adore the cover treatment. If I had a hard copy, I would take that wrapper and frame it and hang it on my wall. I may say, to hell with it, and buy it. For the cover.

The intricacy of the illustration has to be enjoyed close-up. It gives no hint of the contents, except that something creepy is involved. The title is tiny, not readable in thumbnail. This is not a book that will be sold on the basis of the image. It sells on the strength of the superb reviews it’s gotten and the resultant widespread publicity.

I find that art very inspiring. Only a small part of the inspiration derives from the depiction of a demonic cat-like face. The overall feel is not right for my piece, but I will use elements as a jumping-off place for my own thinking, to get it kicking. But, in the end, my thinking is an independent critter and goes where it will.

Something very odd is going on with my keyboard. No cat walked over it today.

--edited by Mimi Speike on 4/16/2014, 8:34 PM--

Marlin55
Posted: Friday, November 21, 2014 10:02 AM

That is a very well done book cover. It would tempt me to pick it up and take a look on the inside. Did you design this yourself?
Yellowcake
Posted: Monday, November 24, 2014 11:03 PM

Thanks Marlin - yeah my 'proper' job is a graphic designer/art director. I like to play with some cover designs from time to time. However at the moment my times for playing is very limited. Coming up to christmas is the busiest time of year for me... everything gets put on hold until my work projects are finished. Writing ... fun art projects ... attention to the kids ... pretty much everything 'cept work till mid jan.
katie78
Posted: Wednesday, August 19, 2015 11:58 PM

i think it really depends on genre. i think it's a good idea to sudy best seller covers in your genre.

Jump to different Forum...