RSS Feed Print
Damn!
Mimi Speike
Posted: Monday, March 3, 2014 4:02 PM

I've never heard of AuthorStand. I'm trying to join. Apparently they are not taking new members. What's with that?
Brandi Larsen
Posted: Monday, March 3, 2014 4:53 PM

Hi Mimi,

AuthorStand members are coming to Book Country. Joe closed AuthorStand to new writers when he decided to join Book Country and recommend that AuthorStand members join us here, too.

There are a lot of fantasy writers who I think you’ll enjoy getting to know.

Best,
Brandi

Mimi Speike
Posted: Monday, March 3, 2014 6:13 PM

Great!
DJS
Posted: Sunday, April 6, 2014 8:00 AM

I would like to use this space to address the glaring misconception that only published writers are capable of giving incisive reviews.

There once was a famous editor named Maxwell Perkins, who was on the editorial staff at Scribners for many years. Three of his most famous authors were Thomas Wolfe, Ernest Hemingway and F. Scott Fitzgerald. While Perkins could not write great prose to save his life, he knew how to edit and spot what was wrong with the work of his clients. Most writers, even the best ones, have trouble editing their prose. While we can't have someone with the editorial skills of Maxwell Perkins looking over our shoulders, it is imperative that a competent editor, whether the writer or not, is part of the creative mix.

Jump to different Forum...