RSS Feed Print
Xlibris keep ringing me?
Yellowcake
Posted: Wednesday, February 5, 2014 11:38 PM

Hey folks. When I first started this adventure, I was doing some research, googling and so on (which is how I found this site). However while looking I stumbled across Xlibris. Filled out the form (prematurely I hasten to add) and promptly forgot all about it.

5 phone calls later from a person in the US, and after reading through the various negative reviews from all over the web, I'm getting a little jaded here... I understand that they are also penguin owned, any thoughts form the community? Who are these guys, Why are they continuing to call me despite me telling them that I'm not ready... do i have to get all Australian on them and tell them to go away using colloquial Australian language? Any info would be great.

I've said to her several times that I'm simply NOT ready yet to discuss, I'm still editing and fine tuning at draft stage. 

Any info and thoughts on the subject would be great... thanks Al

NB : If in fact there are any xlibris people reading this. Heres a few fact about me and my situation... I do this because I'm finding it a fun outlet for my creativity. I have bugger all money. I will not be spending $1000's to buy marketing packages and cover designs etc. If i am going to spend $1000's it will more than likely be on a set of tyres for my car!

Perry
Posted: Thursday, February 6, 2014 6:12 AM

I don't know Xlibiris. I asked for the free publishing guide from another company and was harassed by phone for several months by a sales rep who wanted to tell me what great things she would do for money.

I know people who have self-published through such companies and been very happy, and then too I have read some of the horror stories. In the city an hour from my home we have several self-publishing houses where you can walk in and deal with the staff in person, and I think that's much preferable to working with someone by phone or email a continent away. 

Jay Greenstein
Posted: Friday, February 7, 2014 12:34 AM

Just the fact that they're hounding you tells you all you need to know about them.

They're a print on demand service. Any editing services they sell you will be done by someone other than a real editor with experience in the publishing industry.And the person calling you hopes to make a commission by selling you one of their promotional packages.

Yellowcake
Posted: Friday, February 7, 2014 5:21 AM

Thanks for the input guys. I thought as much. I'm not doing this to make money and somehow I don't think I'm the next JK. It's just some fun for me and I'm learning  lots from just reading here!

The fact that when googling them I get results that 98% of are negative put the road block up in the first place . I don't need the trouble. 

Cheers

Al

Brandi Larsen
Posted: Friday, February 7, 2014 9:13 AM

I looked up the Xlibris privacy policy on the website. Here are three ways to place yourself on the Do Not Call List:

Al, I just sent you a connection request. I'm glad you joined Book Country and are asking questions of other writers -- that's what we're all about! I've been meaning to reach out to you -- I started reading your manuscript and I've been laughing so hard. Thank you for posting it. I hope the feedback you're getting is helpful.

Best,

Brandi

Phoolmatee
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2014 7:12 AM

Yellowcake you have every right to decline any offers made to you from xlibris because you simply have the right to decide how you spend your money.  Don't be pressured just tell no thank you at this time because you are not ready to be published and explain why until they get the message.

--edited by Phoolmatee on 2/12/2014, 7:20 AM--

Yellowcake
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2014 4:53 PM

Thanks For everyones input. Phoolmatee's suggestion seems to be doing the trick. The" I'm simply not ready yet" line is exactly the situation I'm in so...

anyway. Back to the keyboard - life and job getting in the way, but what can ya do!

Cheers

Al aka Yellowcake

Jump to different Forum...