RSS Feed Print
Introducing my books
Cathie Whitmore
Posted: Thursday, November 7, 2013 1:09 AM

As a children's writer, with the help of two very talented illustrators, I have self published three picture books for children 3-8 and a chapter book for older children 7-11. I am constantly checking out publisher's submission guidelines and one thing that really puzzles me about children's books is the acceptable word count for a picture book is around 600 words. My picture books are 48 and 44 pages and contain around 1200 - 1500 words. I am trying to entertain the older child who is old enough to read by themselves, but still enjoys illustrations, as there is not a lot out there for them. I actually had a retired English teacher buy books from me recently and she was very impressed with the amount of text as she said she is sick of reading books to her grandchildren in two minutes flat and it was great to find books with more text and substance to them. It's a shame I can't have my books reviewed by other authors as Book Country don't offer that service with picture books, but any of you out there who are interested in having a look, can view my books on my website at www.atomchildrensbooks.com.au and please send me some feedback at atomchildrensbooks@bigpond.com 

Happy Writing!

Cathie Whitmore

imawake
Posted: Monday, December 2, 2013 10:15 AM

Hi Cathie,

I went to your site and it is really easy to navigate and looks great! I have a friend who is a published children's book author in the same age range that you write for. She wrote one book based on the adoption of her Chinese daughter (SWEET MOON BABY) and she is frustrated because she can't seem to get another manuscript accepted by a publisher. She's afraid of being a one book wonder. I suggested self-publishing but she seems to think that is impossible if you need an illustrator. I will pass on your website to her because she may have questions for you. It's inspiring to know you have taken your career into your own hands!

Isabell

Jump to different Forum...