RSS Feed Print
Unfortunate Context
Bradley James Weber
Posted: Thursday, October 24, 2013 6:44 PM

Carl Reed's topic on bad lyrics got stirred up other thoughts on music, specifically when companies use songs in commercials and the lyrics and/or 
sentiments don't jive with the product or service. Prime examples of this include Target's use of Devo's "Beautiful World,"
French's Mustard with "You Are My Sunshine." 
Anybody have other examples of local or national ad campaigns that managed to undercut the message 
with music that meant something else? 

Carl E. Reed
Posted: Thursday, October 24, 2013 9:46 PM

Politically-speaking, the most odious and jarring example that immediately springs to my mind is the 1984 Reagan campaign's attempted hijacking of Bruce Springsteen's "Born In The USA" for right-wing rah-rah purposes.  The Boss had to threaten to sue the sons-of-bitches before they would stop.

It's clear these tools (a) never truly heard the lyrics, (b) counted on the jingoistic stupidity of the average low-information voter to be as tone-deaf, thematically-speaking, as they were, and (c) never expected Bruce Springsteen to call them out on it.

Have a listen--first two verses:

The first kick I took was when I hit the ground
You end up like a dog that's been beat too much
Till you spend half your life just covering up

Got in a little hometown jam
So they put a rifle in my hand
Sent me off to a foreign land
To go and kill the yellow man

Makes ya want to march right down to the voting booth to pull the lever against your own best interests, doesn't it? So many did . . .

"You say you want a revolution / well you know / we all want to change the world."

--edited by Carl E. Reed on 10/24/2013, 9:48 PM--

Bradley James Weber
Posted: Thursday, October 24, 2013 10:44 PM

Nice one, Carl. Way to come out swinging.

Jump to different Forum...