RSS Feed Print
Have a new Literary Fiction project to workshop on Book Country? Need readers? Share here.
Mimi Speike
Posted: Tuesday, January 12, 2016 6:46 PM

I hesitate to ask for reviews on my verse because I understand that not everyone is into verse. My 'Yo Ho' is verse, it's also humor, it's definitely literary, and it's unusual in that I expand the story with copious wise-ass footnotes. 

If you don't feel up to it, please don't read it. If you do - it's short, around three thousand words with half of that word count being screwball footnotes, I would certainly review a work of yours.

To the adventurous soul out there, please wait until tomorrow (or later) to look at it. I have another handful of changes I want to make.

I will read any genre. I feel that half the value of reviewing is learning lessons that will impact your own work. 

Kate Sebeny
Posted: Wednesday, January 13, 2016 2:11 PM

Thanks again, nate1952! Yes, I'm a newbie and I greatly appreciate your advice, as well as the helpful feedback concerning my literary question. For anyone interested in crafting prologues, my offering is this:

"The Soul of a Sweater" is a draft of a prologue designed to introduce a novel, "Changing Sweaters." My intent in putting it out here is to elicit feedback about its effectiveness as a prologue. Having read this, what would you expect the book to be about? Does this bit whet your literary appetite? Does it make you want to read the novel it prefaces or just ditch it? 

How does the narrative voice of this prologue strike you? The tone? With only this to go on, as a lead-in, a "teaser," would you want to read a whole novel from this viewpoint? What issues, incidents, themes, etc. would you anticipate experiencing in such a story? What do you thing the book would be "about"? 

Enticing? Off-putting? I welcome any and all impressions and input.

Thanks much! I look forward to hearing from you all and reading your work.

~Kate Sebeny

Jump to different Forum...