RSS Feed Print
Do you have Landmark Books suggestions? Share here!
Nevena Georgieva
Posted: Wednesday, June 26, 2013 6:29 PM

Which fantasy books should we add to the map and to which subgenre? One of the really cool things about the new Genre Map is that it's much easier to add new Landmark Books. So, please help us make it a rock-solid tool for writers and lend us your expertise! Pretty please. Also, if you feel strongly about why we should remove or edit a Landmark Book, you can tell us about that, too.  

Cheers, 

Nevena from BC 

--edited by Nevena Georgieva on 6/26/2013, 6:30 PM--

Timothy Maguire
Posted: Thursday, June 27, 2013 6:19 AM

Given that I suspect it's my whining that created this thread, I'd probably better go here. For Urban Fantasy, Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch and Into The Nightside by Simon R Green. Two good, unusual entries in the genre.
Nevena Georgieva
Posted: Thursday, June 27, 2013 7:34 PM

Thanks, Timothy, though I wouldn't call it whining but contributing.
RJBlain
Posted: Friday, June 28, 2013 6:11 PM

Comic Fantasy: 

Resenting the Hero by Moira J. Moore

Another Fine Myth by Robert Aspirin

Magic Kingdom for sale - Sold! by Terry Brooks

A Bad Spell in Yurt by C Dale Brittain

The Dragon and the George by Gordon R Dickson

One of my favorite humor fantasy titles is eluding me. If I remember the name of it, I'll comment again later. Which is a shame because it's one of my favorite books, and absolutely hilarious.

Contemporary Fantasy:

While YA/MG, these are also contemporary fantasy: 

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by JK Rowling

Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan

I'm not a fan of Contemp fantasy, so not a lot to say on this one.

Epic Fantasy: 

Priestess of the White by Trudy Canavan

Wayfarer's Redemption by Sara Douglass

Riftwar Saga by Raymond E Feist

Path of Fate by Diana Pharaoh Francis

Inda by Sherwood Smith

Belgariad and Mallorian by David Eddings 

Historical Fantasy:

Elemental Mastery by Mercedes Lackey

The Holder of Lightning by S.L. Farrell

The Fort at River's Bend by Jack Whyte

I'll have to go upstairs to pursue my traditional fantasy wares. My brain fried coming up with this list off the top of my head.

LeeAnna Holt
Posted: Saturday, June 29, 2013 12:10 PM

I suggest throwing in The Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K Le Guin. It might be more appropriate for the YA fantasy set, but I've seen it placed in the general fantasy section in most bookstores.
Nevena Georgieva
Posted: Wednesday, July 17, 2013 12:07 PM

LeeAnna,

The Wizard of Earthsea is a great suggestion. What do you think is the best home for it--Traditional Fantasy?

RJ, 

Great fodder for future additions. Thank you so much for putting this list together. 

FYI: A book can appear on the map only once, so since The Sorcerer's Stone is already in Middle Grade, we won't add it to Contemporary Fantasy as well (although I do agree that it is Contemporary Fantasy). We try to follow what bookstores & publishers are doing: if the book is published through a YA imprint and the book is shelved in that section of the bookstore, then we assign it to YA as well. 

Thanks guys and keep it coming!

Nevena

--edited by Nevena Georgieva on 7/17/2013, 12:08 PM--

LeeAnna Holt
Posted: Saturday, July 27, 2013 1:13 AM

Traditional Fantasy would be a good place for it.
Lela Markham
Posted: Monday, July 29, 2013 1:58 AM

Traditional High Fantasy -

Tolkein of course, "Lord of the Rings" trilogy. George Martin "Game of Thrones" series, Katharine Kerr "Deverry Cycle, Robert Jordan "Wheel of Time" series. I can think of authors after that, but not the book titles -- Kate Elliott, Tad Williams, Terry Pratchett. I think Stephen Lawhead is more historical fantasy.

Jump to different Forum...