RSS Feed Print
Hello from a work in progress
D J Lutz
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2013 6:37 AM
I am a writer who has done the Nano slog a few times, 2 out of 4 successfully, as well as written a slew of shorts and a couple of serialized fiction stories on my old blog. In a clear fit of insanity, I have started another novel, this time with the intention of publishing for actual money. Is there enough coffee? Anyhow, I look forward to interacting with other writers on the site. Now, on to the second paragraph.

D.J. sends

Nevena Georgieva
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2013 10:23 AM

Welcome to Book Country, D J! *handing a cup of coffee*

2 out of 4 is a pretty good score in my book. Glad to have you on the site.

Let me know if you have any questions about anything.

Nevena, BC Assistant
D J Lutz
Posted: Friday, February 15, 2013 6:12 AM
Hi Nevena. The coffee is delicious. Thanks!

Brandi Larsen
Posted: Wednesday, February 20, 2013 2:38 PM

Hi D.J.

Congrats on the new novel! What are you writing?

D J Lutz
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2013 6:18 AM
Hi Brandi,

I am putting one of my private detective characters into a thriller setting that has a hint of the paranormal. The basic synopsis is a woman hires the PI to find her evil twin sister who is using old world "witchcraft" to marry into the highest levels of government, killing anyone who tries to stop her ascent.
Thanks for asking!

D J Lutz
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2013 6:28 AM
After a venti Pikes Place, am deciding to change the antagonist to evil ex-husband...but he is still killing people who get in his way to the top levels of government. Everyone needs a corrupt governor, right? Why give Illinois all the fun?

Nevena Georgieva
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2013 10:16 AM

Ha ha! Sounds good, D J. What to you consider your primary genre to be? Is it paranormal mystery? It sounds like it could fit one of the thriller subgenres or even urban fantasy!
Brandi Larsen
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2013 4:58 PM

As a recent transplant from Chicago, I can relate to this story. Looking forward to reading it!

D J Lutz
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2013 8:47 PM
Primary genre? Well, that's a tough one. My first novel was a historical western paranormal mystery. Form-wise, it was horrible. Don't read it, please. Then I focused for a few years on cozy mysteries, followed by a 22 episode serial in the almost-hard boiled vein. That one had a pretty loyal little fan base.

This new novel is a thriller with hints of the paranormal. My primary genre seems to be such. Paranormal thriller / urban fantasy. Yeah, that should work.

To make matters worse, I do a lot of technical writing at my "real" job. I also write and edit a nonprofit's quarterly newsletter and manage their social media concerns. No mystery or paranormal about any of that.

Then there was the stint as a food blogger and restaurant reviewer, but that has been awhile. I'm on a diet now.

The problem is I just write the stories that show up in my imagination.

Decaf.  I really need to switch to decaf...

Jump to different Forum...