RSS Feed Print
Yabba-Dabba-Doo! It worked! Here's my original message:
Mimi Speike
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2011 12:31 PM

I'm brand new! I'm intrigued. I'm eager. But, is this the site for me?

I've been searching for a place to post my projects. This is the most promising site that I've found.

Now, I'm not into vampires, paranormal romance, that sort of thing, nor am I beguiled by aliens, space sagas, the fluff which is hot these days.

I love a good story, well written. My preference is for literary fiction, but I am frequently enthralled by smart historical novels, and also by thoughtful fantasy. 

A few things on bookcountry have caught my eye, and I intend to review them, after I mull them over, for what I see so far is very uneven. 

Here's my problem in terms of my own work: Sly! is a light-hearted romp through sixteenth century history, for which I've done massive research.

I comb histories and biographies in search of zany material, which I shoe-horn into plots full of bewildered critters trying to make sense of a sublime but brutal era. My cunning sad-sacks deal with rampant injustice, and with personal failures, character issues and heartbreak. 

My approach is cheerfully caustic and gleefully tongue-in-cheek. I often address the clowns, discussing situations, and making suggestions which are seldom helpful.

My voice has been described by one whose opinion I respect as 'a spirited combination of John Barth and Kurt Vonnegut'. Can't beat that, eh?

What genre does my work belong to? That's a tough one. Comic, Faux-Historical Literary Fantasy with Philosophical Pretensions comes close. It's surely not commercial. And, I'm afraid, my brand of nonsense may be too intense for the genre audience. 

But I'm gonna give it a shot. What do I have to lose?

Mimi Speike

Charl F king
Posted: Wednesday, December 7, 2011 12:06 AM

Bring it on, Mimi. Let's have a look at your work. You will enjoy this site. It's quite addictive.
Dennise Sleeper
Posted: Wednesday, December 7, 2011 10:35 AM
Welcome and looking forward to checking out your "shot".

As for whether or not this site is for you, I hope you you find it's one of the best decisions you've made in your writing career.

Jump to different Forum...