RSS Feed Print
Starting a chapter with dialogue
Three Borzoi
Posted: Friday, April 5, 2013 12:44 PM

The upload formatter appears to place a return after initial quote marks. I end up with:
        "
How are you."

Am I doing something wrong?
Nevena Georgieva
Posted: Friday, April 5, 2013 9:59 PM

Hi Three, I'm sorry to hear you're having a technical issue. Some members have reported display problems with Word files. Try uploading a chapter as a .txt file, and see if that fixes the problem. If it doesn't, email me at support@bookcountry.com with your browser information and the files where the error occurs. 

I hope it works out!

Thanks,
Nevena from BC
Three Borzoi
Posted: Friday, April 12, 2013 1:31 PM

Nevena:

I'm on a mac. If I save from Word to rtf, I have the problem. If I save from Bean (another Mac word processor) I don't. Oh well. Enough time spent on a non-problem. Back to writing.

Three
Nevena Georgieva
Posted: Friday, April 12, 2013 2:14 PM

Thanks for letting me know that it works in Bean. Like I said, there is unfortunately a problem with Word when it comes to certain characters. If you encounter this problem again but can't find a way to upload it correctly in a different processor, please do let me know.

We're working on a major re-design of the website to launch this summer that will resolve annoying bugs like this one. This means we're not spending as much time on optimizing the current site. However, we want to make sure that you're able to use the site properly, so please let me know if you encounter any other problems.

Thanks and sorry again for the inconvenience.

FYI: In the past, this is what has resolved the problem: 

1) Follow the instructions here: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word-help/remove-smart-tags-HP003083308.aspx . Follow the instructions for “Remove all smart tags” and “Turn off all smart tags” and save the document (See attached image).

2) The second option—and this may be easier—is to save the document as a text file (File – Save As – Plain text document).

Jump to different Forum...