RSS Feed Print
When is a review, a review?
Michael R Hagan
Posted: Sunday, October 14, 2012 9:03 AM

Hi all
Very new to the site and ready to review my first three!
A quick review could potentially be done in a very short space of time and be of little use, whereas a fully comprehensive review, though subjective of course, could take much longer. My personally aspiration would be to attain afew very comprehensive reviews for my book, when I upload it.... virtually a free editing service; and for this, I would be more than happy to provide the same for the books which I review.
Is there any way of ensuring the level of fastidiousness, with which one's book is reviewed.... I'd hate to spend weeks providing suggestions for chapter by chapter editing or correcting spelling errors in books I review, and then receive a 'Yes very interesting, I'll give it 'x' stars!' in return.
Sorry if this makes me sound paranoid, but can any kind soul out there enlighten me as to how this works, and when is a review, a review?

Michael R Hagan
Posted: Monday, October 22, 2012 6:01 PM

Well that actually was worthwhile. Not one response so far.
Pretty glad I checked what this site was like first, or I'd have invested a couple of weeks doing reviews with undoubtedly a similar level of reciprication............................................great site this!
Timothy Maguire
Posted: Monday, October 22, 2012 8:16 PM

Hmm...How to write a good review? You'd do well to go back to the 'How to Use Book Country' page and take a look at RJBlain and Danielle Poiesz's thoughtful, lengthy threads on what does and does work. In general, I find a mixture of wide-spectrum details and honesty are the best options for myself. You want to note running grammatical errors, not the individual ones (there's no point highlighting every time someone makes the classic 'they're, their, there' mistake if they're doing it the same way everytime), so that the writer can fix the problem going forwards. There's also no real point sugar-coating a bad read out of a desire to be nice. Everyone here wants to get better at their craft.

In general, you'll find it works best not to expect every review to be full of timely advice on how to improve the things you're worried about. One of my favourite reviews I've received on this site focused primarily on how well some of my writing worked. Knowing what works is just as important as knowing what doesn't.

Finally, if you want to improve your interactions on Book Country, it'll go best if you try your best to connect to a lot of people. Posting interesting/ thoughtful comments in the forums as well as reviews (of practically any caliber) can be good ways to get started. Starting discussions in your area of interest's thread can be a good way to get interest/ involvement, though posting in GD Deckard's 'Progress Report' is virtually becoming a rule around here.
Michael R Hagan
Posted: Sunday, October 28, 2012 4:22 PM

Many thanks... I fell less like 'Norman No Friends' now!
I'll certainly check out the threads you mentioned, as well as the obligatory, GD's report! Thanks again for the info!

Mimi Speike
Posted: Tuesday, November 6, 2012 3:58 PM

Here's a tip for you, Michael: I have my folks whom I follow, whose thinking I like. I generally bring up those connections and see what threads those guys are looking at. I let them do the shovel work. It's faster and easier that going through that long list of discussions. So I never noticed this posting.

Have a little patience. You'll find that this is a terrific site.

Michael R Hagan
Posted: Tuesday, November 6, 2012 7:02 PM

Groovy Mimi, thx!
By the way, don't we look alike...... we could be twins.
See ya on GD's.
Oh actually.... How does one go about getting a partially completed review to where it can be viewed by the author? I'm wanting to know if what I'm doing is thought to be constructive or whether a different approach might be preferred.

Mimi Speike
Posted: Wednesday, November 7, 2012 1:59 AM

Well, you can only give one review. It will be seen by the author as soon as you post it.

As for what approach to take, I say go with your gut, give the input that you think is important. If you have more to add, you can add it in the comments that follow.

I have gotten a few reviews in which the reviewer and I have gone back and forth twenty or more times. It can become a conversation, if the parties are interested in carrying on a genuine discussion.

Jump to different Forum...