RSS Feed Print
Finding the time to really work this site!
Angela Martello
Posted: Wednesday, December 7, 2011 7:42 PM

Greetings, all!

I was just wondering how so many of you find the time to really take advantage of all this site has to offer and to participate fully, especially with respect to writing very detailed and thoughtful reviews. I feel like such a slacker, yet with a full-time job, volunteer activities, art classes, and working on my own writing, I find it difficult to carve out chunks of time to devote to reading the many wonderful works posted here and provide useful feedback.

I appreciate any pointers! Got to run - late for choir rehearsal!

Marcie
Posted: Thursday, December 8, 2011 1:43 PM

Hi Angela,

Like anything else, the more you do, the faster you'll get at it. Also, I schedule chunks of time specifically for critique.

RJBlain
Posted: Thursday, December 8, 2011 2:51 PM

There is no simple answer to that question, unfortunately... I make time by sacrificing time I would have been using doing something else. I make the most of the time I do have, but sometimes, that long, thoughtful review is me skipping on an hour or two of my writing to get it done -- that is just the way it is for me.

But, when I do the long critiques, I am happy with the fact that I am helping myself improve writing at the same time I am helping someone else. I learn from the mistakes of others, and it helps me see the mistakes that I make in my own writing when I point it out to another writer.

Because of this, I find that it is worth the investment and hassle.
Angela Martello
Posted: Thursday, December 8, 2011 8:45 PM

Rehearsal was, as usual, crazy. It never ceases to amaze me how awful we sound a couple of weeks before a concert! Somehow, though, we always manage to pull it off. . .

Marcie - I thought of setting aside blocks of time. I think once the Christmas craziness is over, I'll be able to dedicate one night a week or a few hours on the weekend just for reviewing purposes (probably the weekend would be better - I spend a great deal of time at work giving very detailed feedback to our freelance developmental editors, so I'm a bit "feedback weary" in the work week evenings).

RJ- I agree - providing a detailed review is an excellent learning tool for the reviewer as well!

And, Tish - I think this simple phrase says it all "there is no way I can"! There simply aren't enough hours in the day! But, this site has certainly been a major learning experience for me, and it has turned what is normally a solitary activity into a shared experience. The main reason I keep taking the same adult education class at a nearby art school is so that I can be inspired by the other people (repeaters and first-timers) taking the class.

So, I'll carve out some time (after the holidays), keep reminding myself that I do need to get some sleep each day, and continue to be inspire by talented and driven people on this site!

Thanks, all!

Angela Martello
Posted: Sunday, January 8, 2012 7:48 PM

Well, now that the last of the holiday parties is over (I host the annual Gingerbread Demolition Party on the Epiphany - judging by the number of wine bottles in the recycling bucket, it's turning into more of a party for the adults than it is for the kids!), I can make good on my New Year's resolutions to devote more time to my writing and editing and to this site. Have 100 pages to go on my massive editing project for A Kaliphian Matter: Revelations, then a final read through, then I'll re-post it here. Once that's done, I will be more diligent about reviewing other works on this site (in between my other writing/editing projects ).

Jump to different Forum...