RSS Feed Print
A Regular User's Basic Guide to Using Book Country
RJBlain
Posted: Sunday, May 1, 2011 7:15 PM

For those new to Book Country, welcome!

I wrote a guide to Book Country on my blog, but there are enough questions going around that I thought that I would take a moment to write up a quick guide for everyone who finds this part of the site. I'm not at all affiliated with penguin, this site -- I'm just a user like everyone else. I just tend to be OCD and hate seeing people confused on how to make use of a great resource like this one.

This is from the perspective of someone who was in the private beta and figured it out on her own, so this may not exactly jive with how the staff originally intended the site to work, but this is what I do to get the most benefit from it:

The first thing you should do is complete your profile as much as possible. Make sure you put all the genres that you like so you can get the best exposure to the books you want. This will also help other users find you.

The first thing I suggest that you do is take a look at the Books option in the left pane of the website. This is how you find new reading material. The page you land on when you click the Books link is the hub of the site. This shows the highest rated books and the books that are most commonly recommended to friends. These are often good reads -- or reads that could use work and others recommend them for reviews.

However, I suggest you click the Genre map before you look at favorite or Buzz books. The Genre map is one of the most brilliant parts of the website. By clicking the type of story you want to read, you are taken to a map that shows all books in that specific category. Landmark books are marked with L so you can easily check for books that are like bestselling favorites. When you click the box with your genre type, just click select this genre to go to the map.

I hang out in the epic / high fantasy category, but that is just my preference.

Once you get onto the genre map, you will see different colored squares. These squares show the color associated with a sub-genre within the category you have selected. Just click your mouse over one of the squares -- any one will do, even an L. From there, you will get the title and the author of the book. If it is a L book, or landmark book, it will show the actual cover of the novel. Clicking the book will bring up the pitch for the book and options to read & review, find similar books and view book details. I recommend you just click read & review and get started with reading if you like the pitch.

You can adjust your position on the genre map by clicking the red fountain pen nib in the mini map panel on the left side of the page, or by dragging the central genre map around. I find it is easier to use the mini map.

Once you go to read, a overlay window will appear with three text boxes on the right hand side. If you have read this book and reviewed it before -without- major changes being made by the author, you will get a "Thanks for Sharing" text. If not, you will have the three text boxes I mentioned before. There will be star ratings below each one that will unlock if you've written enough to warrant starring the category. All books will have an Overall category, but the author selects two fields they want feedback on.

At this point I am going to side-step and mention something about critiquing on Book Country. This site is really here to help writers improve and prepare for the world of publication. Rating high to get a high rating back just doesn't work. Be honest, rate honestly, and only give five stars if you would buy this book without a doubt or hesitation. If you would pay up -- right that moment -- with your credit card, rate it 5 stars. If you feel that it is publishable, or that it needs little work or just really liked it, then I would recommend 4 stars. Obviously, rate your stars as you like, but inflating the stars doesn't help anyone.

Be honest, be harsh... don't be mean. The more indepth your critiques are, the likelier that you will get similar feedback. Writing thorough critiques helps -you- improve your skills as a writer as well. The more you're able to identify problems in another person's writing, the better you will become at identifying those same problems in your own.

This is all my opinion of course, but this is what I do.

Personal opinions aside, back to the guide. Next, I recommend that you visit the People tab. You want to connect with people who write and read in the genres that you write and read. This will expose you to their writing and allow them to send you recommendations. You can follow a writer to see what they post, but connections allow you to get all of the news of a person and allow them to suggest a recommendation of books, discussions and comments that might be of interest to you.

I don't get a lot of recommendations, but when I do, I tend to make good use of them or critique. Especially if it is a recommendation of work that is not of the person sending it. I get a mix of that, and I find I will critique almost anything recommended to me if I get the time.

Once you start getting connections, you will begin being able to make use of Books You're Following. You need to click the follow button for the book you follow, but this will update you whenever a change, comment or critique/review is written of a book. I almost always check out what others are saying about a book I follow. This lets me know if my review was suitable for the book and it helps me improve my reviewing skills.

The biggest thing about this site, once again entirely my own opinion, is that you get out of it exactly what you put into it. It takes time and effort to do the critiques and reviews, but it is well worth the effort at the end of the day for me.

I strongly recommend following discussions that you are interested in. As the site grows, it can get harder to check the conversations you want to follow. The following discussions panel lets you see exactly what is going on with the discussions that you are interested in.

That is the basic 'core' of the site. It is pretty easy, but as you play with the site, it will get easier to use.

I hope this helps a little for those who have questions.

Danielle Poiesz
Posted: Monday, May 2, 2011 12:28 AM
This is fantastic, Rebecca! Thank you so much for writing this up for all our new Book Countryians! You rock.
Mahesh Raj Mohan
Posted: Monday, May 2, 2011 12:40 AM
Nice work, Rebecca! I especially like, "If you would pay up -- right that moment -- with your credit card, rate it 5 stars."

That is a really helpful way of describing a rating and one I follow, too, although there are books I've rated at 4 stars that I'd buy.

The rest of the guide is super-helpful for folks unfamiliar with BC. Rock on!
Zia Ahmad
Posted: Monday, May 2, 2011 7:42 PM

I was wondering, if you request to connect with one of the members here on the site, how do you know if they have accepted your request? Do you get an email confirmation-or is there a way to check the status of your request on the website? Thanks for the putting together the guide. It is very helpful.
RJBlain
Posted: Monday, May 2, 2011 8:03 PM

@ Zia Ahmad

Once you go to request to connect, every time you view their profile, you will see a small line stating 'Connection Request Sent". This means they haven't sent it. Once they accept your request, they will appear in your connection dialog. If you want to make certain you can see someone even if they don't accept the connection, request to connect AND follow them. They'll disappear from your following dialog when they accept the connection request.

Hope that helps!
Paroma
Posted: Monday, May 2, 2011 11:40 PM

Question: Must I follow every book I review, or are they added to my profile somewhere automatically- the latter makes more sense, but I can't find any panel where my reviewed books are listed for me to see.
RJBlain
Posted: Monday, May 2, 2011 11:56 PM

You'll need to follow every book you review if you want to check back on the book. There is a suggestions thread in the report beta issues discussion thread if you'd like this feature and want to suggest it there.

I tend to follow the books I review because I want to be able to answer the writer's questions if they have any.
Paroma
Posted: Tuesday, May 3, 2011 12:34 AM

@Blain Yes I found the thread. I'm surprised that the makers didn't see the need for this when the main focus of this site seems to be reviewing and critiquing!
RJBlain
Posted: Tuesday, May 3, 2011 12:36 AM

Well, it is still currently in beta, and that is what beta testing is for -- to find stuff like this out.
JSF
Posted: Friday, May 6, 2011 1:23 AM

How can I get a list of all the books? It'd be nice to have them with their descriptions but even a stark list'd be useful.
RJBlain
Posted: Friday, May 6, 2011 1:33 AM

The closest you can get to a full list of all books is to click Books -> Search

The list of books that show by default with no selections in any of the search panes is the complete list of books currently available on the site.
JSF
Posted: Friday, May 6, 2011 12:26 PM

I just tried a search without giving criteria. 38 books were in the list. My books were not in the list.
JSF
Posted: Friday, May 6, 2011 12:38 PM

Ah. I see. If I go to books and do NOT click search but just scroll down, then I get a list of all 302 books. What is the order? I see I can also click on a genre and get all the books in the genre.
JSF
Posted: Friday, May 6, 2011 12:50 PM

Tried it again. Search on blank did get me all 302. Never mind. I'll just keep poking.
RJBlain
Posted: Friday, May 6, 2011 2:23 PM

You might want to consider adding this request to the suggestions thread in the beta issues section of the discussion boards if you haven't already, along with what sort of basic sorting you would enjoy. That is the best place for offering suggestions of things that you find that are working as intended but don't fit how you'd like to be able to use the site.

Good luck with your poking
Edward de Vere
Posted: Saturday, May 7, 2011 12:51 AM

What you don't mention is that the site doesn't work well technically.

1 - I can' t upload my book. There is no POST or SUBMIT button for me.
2 - I can write a reveiw, but I can't POST or SUBMIT it, as there's no button for me.
3 - I can't give a DARK or LIGHT tone to my book, as there is no POST or SUBMIT button, nor any of the other items on this page.
4 - Therefore I can't completre my profile, which means I can't do other things here.
5 - Other pages have similar problems. Other writers make the same complaint over various parts of this site, but management doesn't acknowledge these problems, nor tell us when they will be repaired. I've tried many fixes, loging in at 50% and 150%, no go. Others have tried every other brower known to the web; no go. I log in every couple of days, and there is never an acknowledgement of these problems, and never are they fixed. I can understand start-up problems, but not the non-acknowledgement of them
6 - White the ideas of the site are good, the success of the site depends on its being reliable, which it is not just yet.
7 - I'm amazed that Penquin has allowed this incompetence to be public. I don't think this site is ready to be public.
RJBlain
Posted: Saturday, May 7, 2011 2:26 AM

Well, this site *is* in public beta. The appropriate place for these problems you're reporting is the beta report issues section. There is a report beta issues link on the left. This is a guide to help those who aren't experiencing technical difficulties to use the site.... and since I'm just a regular user who just wants to help where I can, I wish I could do something to resolve your issues, but the beta help discussion forums is definitely the best place to ask for help with them -- that sounds like bugs that the beta status is designed to check for and fix before it is no longer a beta site.

This forums is more for how-tos and basic questions, not for bug fixes and repairs. (Please, I encourage you to file these as proper reports in the beta section, Colleen and Danielle have been super about helping with them there.)

Voran
Posted: Monday, May 9, 2011 4:46 PM

Hi! I have a question and I'm sorry if it's already been answered before and I was just too stupid to notice
If a novel that's already uploaded on the site has been significantly edited, what's the best way to let current readers know about the changes to encourage them to reread? Does it make sense to upload another "book" and just title it as "new edit of ...." ? That way you can have two of the same book for the sake of comparison between edits. Or it there a better idea? Thanks!

Nick

RJBlain
Posted: Monday, May 9, 2011 7:39 PM

Hi, Voran!

When you make significant changes to a story -- IE, replace chapters via the modify option -- you will be given a choice to mark it as a minor fix or a major change. If you select major change, everyone following your book will be able to see that you have made significant changes to your book.

I wouldn't recommend running two copies side by side. You won't get feedback from the same two people likely, and you'd have to get a following on both versions. I don't think this would be effective.

You don't lose your reviews when you register it as a major change and people who have already reviewed your story can review it again. I would make use of this functionality to get new feedback.
Voran
Posted: Monday, May 9, 2011 8:28 PM

thanks!
JSF
Posted: Monday, May 9, 2011 11:31 PM

Are all books suddenly getting buzzed and communityed because someone's testing these functions?
RJBlain
Posted: Monday, May 9, 2011 11:39 PM

Greetings, JSF -- the buzz and community favorites update in a big batch because the site updates those settings once every two weeks. The powers that be have decided this is how often those fields update, so every 2 weeks, you will see books go up (or fall off) of those categories. (I have no idea if this time frame will ever change, that is up to those lovely powers that be to determine that.)

JSF
Posted: Tuesday, May 10, 2011 12:28 PM

But are they real or are they the result of "the powers" testing the system?
RJBlain
Posted: Tuesday, May 10, 2011 12:42 PM

I don't work at BookCountry, so I really don't have an answer of how the buzz and favorites are selected. However, I ::suspect:: that it is a 'real' result based off of a few factors. These factors (I believe) include:

A: How often people recommend the book to other people
B: How many comments there are
C: How many positive feedback ratings there are (thumbs up ratings)
D: How many people are following the book
E: The Karma modifications of those who review and comment on the book

I do not believe that these books are modified on the rankings based off of how Colleen and Lindsay feel about any specific work. Supporting this is the simple fact that not every favorite or buzz book has been reviewed by Lindsay or Colleen.

Now, this site is still heavily in beta, so the results are skewed in favor of those who were private betas or are extremely active on the site. This is unavoidable in a small pool of individuals. This will change as time progresses, but the factors and reasoning mechanisms of the site will not change (it may be tuned after the functionality of the site is tested)

In simple terms, the site would be very unreasonable to manage if Buzz and Favorites were controlled manually by any employee of Book Country.

Does that help a bit?
Danielle Poiesz
Posted: Tuesday, May 10, 2011 6:06 PM
*cough* My name is Danielle, not Lindsay. *cough*

No more muscle relaxers for you, missy!

RJBlain
Posted: Tuesday, May 10, 2011 6:18 PM

I'm sorry!! Blame Colleen, it is her last name! She took all of your attention. Obviously in my drugged stupor when I was writing that, you two are attached at the hip and her last name was your first name... not sure how that happened.
Please forgive me!
Danielle Poiesz
Posted: Tuesday, May 10, 2011 6:20 PM
heh I'm just playin

All is forgiven!
Francine Saint Marie
Posted: Saturday, May 14, 2011 12:46 PM

Useful information--thank you, RJ--but how many members are there? If there are lots here then there really doesn't seem to be a very active readership.

Yet.

=)

RJBlain
Posted: Saturday, May 14, 2011 3:20 PM

The site is still in beta, Francine. Last time we had any definitive numbers, there were 2,000 users. That said, I don't work here, so I don't have any real numbers for you. Beta usage is a really bad indicator of full-public launch. Many of these users are likely just testing the functionality of the site and not doing reviews, or on the fence on whether or not they want to participate.

That said, I've gotten a lot more readership here than on other sites with a -lot- more members, so there is a very active readership here so far. There is the common issue of people staying in genres they already know, however, and there are a lot of stories up for reading, which spreads the people around.
Charles Dove
Posted: Friday, May 20, 2011 10:56 PM

Thanks for posting this, RJ! It's very helpful! As someone who could really use some good ol' constructive criticism and not the typical patronizing "Nice" or "Cool!" that I get from family and friends, this is EXACTLY the kind of place I've been looking for. I especially like the fact that you have to contribute to the community before you're eligible for feedback on your own works. I can see how some people would come here with no intention of giving back. Reviews are extremely helping in the creative process IMO.
Claire Lyman
Posted: Wednesday, July 20, 2011 7:14 PM

Thank you so much!
I'm still a bit confused - how does a book move "up" the ranks? Is there a straightforward way to "back" a certain book? Or is it all based on star ratings?
Colleen Lindsay
Posted: Wednesday, July 20, 2011 7:57 PM

Claire -

This is not Authonomy and there is no way to "back" a book. What we do here is pretty straightforward: actual thoughtful peer review and critique. Your book moves up or down based on the strength of the review, and the reputation of the reviewer. We would rather have a fantastic one-star review that contains a load of solid, carefully thought-out advice for how an author can improve his or her book than a superficial five-star review.
GD Deckard
Posted: Monday, December 5, 2011 12:28 PM
I just received an email from BookCountry@news.bookcountry.com that informs me, "You have 3 new Connections."
What does this mean? There is nothing in "Connection Requests" (under "Your Network" on my home page.)
I'm new here & I'd appreciate anyone letting me know if I need to do something.
Thanks!
RJBlain
Posted: Monday, December 5, 2011 12:48 PM

Hi, GD!

The notifications are likely relating to connection requests you made in the past and have just been accepted -- it is a digest of your activity over the past period. I think they use one week, but since I'm not an employee, I'm not sure.

It could also be connection requests that you have accepted recently, just added to the digest.

Hope that helps!

GD Deckard
Posted: Tuesday, December 6, 2011 6:53 AM
Thank you! for the fast reply, RJ. But, I'm very new here -I have no connections nor had I ever requested one. O'well, hopefully no one has tried to connect with me and now figures I'm a jerk. Again, thank you for your response, RJ.
RJBlain
Posted: Tuesday, December 6, 2011 10:09 AM

Not a problem, GD, I just sent you a connection request to make sure you are seeing the connection requests ok -- give it a check and see if you can't figure it out. Welcome to the site, and I hope you get a lot out of it.
GD Deckard
Posted: Tuesday, December 6, 2011 1:44 PM
Yup, got your test request. I accepted, just to be sure it works. Feel free to drop the connection, no offense will be taken. I and my muse, a Bengal cat, thank you RJ.
Alexandria Brim
Posted: Tuesday, December 11, 2012 2:52 AM

The main books pages will always show the Community Favorites and Buzz Books. So, yes, that page seems stacked against the new writers. But if you go into "Search books" you will find the complete list of all the books on this site. I use it to find new books and I'm sure others do as well.

D J Lutz
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2013 6:23 AM
I am about two years late to the party, but find everything presented here to be just what I needed to hear (read.) I appreciate the thoroughness and candor of this post, particularly the ratings concept, one I will adopt. I can only hope to be as helpful down the e-road.

Maya Starling
Posted: Thursday, May 9, 2013 4:19 PM

Might be that this has been covered but I missed it... but... is there a way to change/edit our feedback once it has been posted, if the author added more or changed something?
RJBlain
Posted: Thursday, May 9, 2013 4:32 PM

No, you can't edit / change your reviews, but, you can post a new review if the book has been changed or more has been added.
Maya Starling
Posted: Thursday, May 9, 2013 4:40 PM

Thank you!

Jump to different Forum...