RSS Feed Print
Congratulations on the new changes!
CarolBuchananMT
Posted: Thursday, January 17, 2013 12:58 PM
Colleen, Congratulations on the changes to Book Country's website and the expanded benefits to authors! I've been debating whether or not BC fits with my revised 2013 writing, publishing, and marketing plan. Having scoured the site and read the PW article this morning, I'm pleased that it does.

I have a question to which I've probably overlooked the answer somewhere on the site: Does BC accept shorter fiction as well as novels?

Thanks for making these changes!
Carol (@CarolBuchananMT)

Timothy Maguire
Posted: Thursday, January 17, 2013 8:04 PM

I have to admit that a quick browse through the options available for e-publishing was impressive and I'm seriously looking at BC as an option. of course, I have to get finished first.
Colleen Lindsay
Posted: Friday, January 18, 2013 7:04 AM

Hi Carol -

Can you clarify what you mean?

If you mean "Can I post short fiction to be critiqued on the Book Country Community?", then absolutely, yes! Currently you can upload chapters, short stories, flash fiction or an entire manuscript on the site for your fellow members to read and critique. The only caveat is that it must fall somewhere within the realm of science fiction, fantasy, mystery, romance and thriller. In late summer of this year, we'll be opening up Book Country to all fiction genres as well as narrative non-fiction and memoir, but that's still a ways off.

If you mean "Can I publish short work using the free self-publish tools?", that's more complicated. I believe that currently your work must be 5000 words or longer to publish as a stand-alone book, so if that's your plan, you may want to just compile several short stories into a collection.

Do note, however, that you are *not* limited to science fiction, fantasy, mystery, romance and thriller on the Publish tools.

Hope this helped!

Colleen

Atthys Gage
Posted: Friday, January 18, 2013 3:17 PM

Hey Colleen.  Just finished perusing the publishing options and I was pleased to see what looks like a very workable, flexible model.  

Publishers talk about the 'partnership' between author and publisher, though they have a way of making authors feel like a very minor partner.  "Hey, send us your work and maybe, if you're very lucky, we'll print it, but you need to hire your own editor and do all your own promotion.  Here's your ten percent."

The BC model actually feels like a partnership.  We provide the product, BC provides the means of production and distribution.  85/15 feels like a fair split to me.   Of course we still have to promote (assuming we expect sales), but that's just the way it is.  

Anyway, good job.

Atthys
Nevena Georgieva
Posted: Friday, January 18, 2013 3:32 PM

Hi Carol, 

I just wanted to add to what Colleen already said about the publishing requirements. Before you can publish your e-book with us, your text must contain at least 2,500 words. Also, the file size may not exceed 5 MB. Otherwise, our online editor will not be able to properly upload your manuscript and scan it for formatting errors. 

I hope this helps!
Nevena

Jump to different Forum...