RSS Feed Print
They Have to Be Kidding
Jay Greenstein
Posted: Friday, February 1, 2013 12:42 AM
Does anyone out there have an opinion as to whether P.O.D. (print
on demand) books are accorded better, worse, or exactly the same status
as self-published books?

A POD publisher takes the file you send them and, if you send them someone who will pay in advance they will produce and send the book on  a no refund basis, unless you guarantee the money. Kindle will do the same. The primary difference between them is that you have to charge a lot more for the POD book so there are fewer people willing to take a chance.

Either way, the average self-published book, if you factor out sales to family and friends, sells less than a hundred copies, if for no other reason than that no one is searching Amazon for your name on a book cover.

Carl E Reed
Posted: Friday, February 1, 2013 1:25 AM

Thanks for the info, Jay! That's about how I had it figured . . .

MariAdkins
Posted: Wednesday, February 6, 2013 5:38 PM
Apex, my publisher, uses POD, and we have very high quality paperback books (6x9s). We started out with hardbacks, but they were very cost prohibitive, and people wanted paperbacks more.

But, honestly, at least as my anthology goes, as great as the book looks, it's sold more on the Kindle than in any other format. My book comes out later this year, and I'm anxious to see how it does. (and scared to death LOL)

Carl E Reed
Posted: Wednesday, February 6, 2013 8:52 PM

Good to know, Mari! Best of luck with the new book. May you make enough to keep working and writing . . .
MariAdkins
Posted: Thursday, February 7, 2013 2:25 PM
appreciated carl!

Nevena Georgieva
Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2013 9:38 PM

"With respect to whether or not the self-publishing portion of Book Country will affect my usage of this site? It won't. There are so many aspects of this site that long ago captured my attention; the people participating on the site at the top of that list. And, I have to say, I am most excited to see what the next release unveils (Colleen - I hear you about getting the attention of developers. And I work on a for-profit publication!).

And, of course, if people truly are unhappy with the changes on Book Country then they can decide whether or not they continue to use the site. I'm sure folks would be missed if they left the community, but just like with our writing, Book Country has to evolve. If not, well, we all know what happens to things that don't evolve. "

Thank you for putting it so eloquently, Angela. And I promise, really good things are brewing for Book Country 2.0...

Jump to different Forum...