RSS Feed Print
Subgenres and 'Special Interest' Tagging; when is it appropriate?
Robert C Roman
Posted: Saturday, March 19, 2011 5:03 PM

I've mentioned a few places that I can't seem to figure out what genre I'm writing in.  What's nearly as bad for me is whether or not to market a book as a 'special interest' book. 

For example, is a book with a romance between a white guy from Lancaster PA and a woman who is herself the child of a Black woman and a Jewish man automatically an 'interracial romance' or 'multicultural'?  Is a novel with a lesbian main character automatically LGBT fiction?  Is a story with soldiers in automatically 'military fiction'?  Is a novella with a CSI as the MC by definition a 'procedural' or 'crime drama' story?

Robert C Roman
Posted: Saturday, March 19, 2011 5:05 PM

Gah. Need to be able to delete comments.
Colleen Lindsay
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2011 3:27 PM

Hi Robert -

I think the point of the tags is that you should tag it the way you like, the way you think makes the most sense. Readers are welcome to then let you know if perhaps one of the tags isn't quite right. You can also suggest tags if you don't see a tag that fits your project!

Cheers!
Robert C Roman
Posted: Monday, May 9, 2011 8:26 PM

Sorry for the delay in reply - for some reason I didn't see the 'new comments' marker until today.

@Colleen - Thanks! I'll try doing that when I think it's on a borderline. That way if it's not, folks will tell me, and if it is, I'll find that out too.

@KS - I had an idea that something ought to be central to the plot for it to be considered 'marketable as', but I've had some feedback that I'm not marketing things as fully as I might. In the case of the Military IR / MC romance, the question applies to a published novella. Same with the CSI.

The 'military romance' aspect is central to the plot; the societal impediment is that they're part of the same HQ unit, so they can't get together, so 'military' fits. The IR / MC tags are both... Soft. He's from a very progressive family where it's a non-issue, she's a sheltered academic, and her only romantic advice comes from her mother, who came of age in the 1860's American south. It's not delved into a great deal, but it is touched on, if you see the difference.

The CSI one? NOT a procedural, but it was kinda the other end of the spectrum for me in terms of 'would this be a good subgenre listing'.

The LGBT tag for a Lesbian MC was primarily about Crowbar Girl. Two characters are, and one of the romantic subplots is related to one of them realizing that.

Jump to different Forum...