RSS Feed Print
The Love/Hate Relationship With Writing Sex Scenes
DJS
Posted: Thursday, December 5, 2013 7:58 AM
Ellie: I think so many writers are nervous about sex scenes because they fear inviting readers into the bedrooms of their minds.Many readers think the author's story is a barely disguised confession of their private lives, paying scant attention to the fact that imaginary divulgence is a staple of fiction. Truth to tell, most writers live boring lives. Much of the passion related to writing stems from an attempt to fill one's life with adventures and sensory pleasures unattainable in the stultifying environs of reality.

DJS
Posted: Wednesday, January 8, 2014 9:50 AM
E:llie: Even in this era of unlimited freedom, we have trouble writing about sex because Victorian mores and Christianity's refutation of sex under the rubric of the Virgin Birth have become firmly ingrained into the culture. Also, I believe writers fear turning their readers into voyeurs. Moreover, one's  ability to write successful erotica should not be gauged by how many times he/she uses the word fuck. I've always admired a horse's disposition to take a dump wherever it pleases, while at the same time understanding why civilized humanity cannot claim the same prerogative.

Jump to different Forum...