RSS Feed Print
What's Most Important to You: Money, Recognition or Satisfaction?
Perry Tercel
Posted: Saturday, June 1, 2013 11:38 AM
I know there hasn't been much activity on this question, recently, but I found it and it drew me in.
(Always an opportunity -a 'writer' loves to write.)

I could say my answer would readily be: The Satisfaction. From as far back, as I can remember (tentatively pacing through the hoary mists; fearful but resigned...) I have always 'claimed' it was my satisfaction, in any of my artistic endeavors, and nothing more. I made that proclamation when someone said I should go into business with my artwork. I said, 'I don't want the confines, they'll place on me, 'cause it will affect 'my' creativity.' Der-da-der! Why didn't I listen? Oh, right. It's not that easy and you have to work thirty; sixty; or a hundred times harder to turn your art into a living. Raising my girls, by myself, and working (approx.) fifty+ hours a week, that barely paid the bills, left me physically exhausted and emotionally emaciated. I had nothing left to give ANY of my 'muse children' and, at one very low point in my life, I even wrote a song about them: "My Children Have Died"
How tragic! (Tongue in cheek)

I still believe 'satisfaction' is the answer, but by another definition. As a Christian (Oh No! Not one of THEM!) I don't believe God gave us our talents to keep them to ourselves... And, so, I know the satisfaction comes when 'our' creation gives to another. I'm not talking about 'acclaim' or 'personal recognition'; it's what 'others' obtain from our offerings. A work of art that evokes emotions once buried. An 'ah-ha!' moment when you read an 'inspiring' book. (Not all authors intend to inspire, or so they claim, but that is foolish. Everything we speak, write, and hear charges us, all, in one way or another.) 
Music that fills the soul; gives wings and sweeps the spirit-dancer across the universe of all space, time, and dimension -if but for 4:36 minutes. 
And even if you know you have done so, or not, you 'give' that as a reason to create so that another may enjoy - YOU are satisfied.

There are so many wonderful dreamers on this site. I am so grateful to God for blessing me with this avenue in my life... I am so thankful to all of you, whether you read this, or not... Thank you!

(Thank You, Mr. Carl, for all your contributions and ultimate care. I'm still not much of a writer, but my heart is in the right place, I believe. I'm relatively new, (here; BC) but I've already assessed that YOU are one of the people others turn to and trust. I've read reviews, you have given, and know 'there's good meat' in all your forthright, and still graciously diplomatic, critiques.)

Thanks for giving me a breath.   

P.S.:  Could I have a review? I would love to have Your viewpoint on my style of writing. WARNING: It's a children's book and Christian-themed. But, from my own personal experience, I know you can't be 'taken over' by Jesus unless YOU make that decision to let Him in. I write for those who are searching (for God) and/or to entertain anyone, as well.
Whatever time you can give, I would truly appreciate, sir!
Perry Tercel
Posted: Saturday, June 1, 2013 12:22 PM
Whoosh! Detailed all the comments and realized I needed to add my opinion on the other (two) three; four...selections. (YUP! Still got a bit more wind left in these ragged sails!)

Money: Who wouldn't want to have a job, they love with all their might, and be able to make a living? (Or, "and then some". Face it:  Who wouldn't want to be a Stephen King or a J.K. Rowling? One of my favorite authors, of all time, was H.P. Lovecraft -and he did 'love his craft'- who died practically penniless. Would any writer aspire to be Lovecraft?)
Acclaim; Recognition: Oh, let's face it and call it for what we know we really want: Fame. You say you don't want that? Why are you sharing your work with others, here, on BC? So they can tell you what a load of excrement you are? Wait until you're THAT famous before you let yourself be that hoidy-toidy; then you don't have to worry what anyone tells you. (As if that really happens.)
Time/whatever else you think will make you noticeable:  I love to write for the sake of time. Hmmm. So, if I'm really a good enough writer, I can lengthen my days to 26 hours! Maybe more, if I keep getting better! Nope. Doesn't make sense.

If you have a gift, you will know by those around you. If you say you write for your own pleasure, I guarantee you've shown it to someone else, at one point or another, for their reaction. (On whatever level you have placed your personal expectations.)
A writer writes... But words are meant to be read. Period.

(Oh, my! Where did that come from? Oh, yeah. Honesty...I like it; I like it a lot.)
Carl E Reed
Posted: Monday, June 3, 2013 11:25 AM

Thank you for sharing and contributing to the dialogue, Perry! Your words are soul-felt, trial-&-tribulation tested, true.

I'm not as active as I used to be (in anything, heh!) but I wish you great joy, inspiration and comfort in the writing. I really enjoyed what you did here. That level of candor, gentle self-deprecating humor and passion (for that comes through in your writing; yes it does!) is very refreshing. There are a lot of great writers on the site and you are one. Welcome!    

Perry Tercel
Posted: Monday, June 3, 2013 12:20 PM
Thank you, sir, so much. You gave me some 'lightness' today. God bless you Mr. Reed.
Toni Smalley
Posted: Saturday, June 8, 2013 5:07 AM
Honestly, I want the money. ONLY, because I want to be able to devote my entire waking moment to my fictional worlds. So, I guess I write, because I love writing, but I want to make money, so I can write. Sometimes, I am working and I know my characters are there sitting on the sidelines, and it hurts my heart to make them wait. I guess a possible solution would be to become a hermit. I could build a cabin deep in the woods and live like the Amish or something. And, then I can just write. Oh, but then I'd have to cut down trees for firewood, try to figure out which berries are edible, maybe I'd die in the in the process, find a creek with fresh water...suppose that wouldn't really work. So, yes, I want to be able to sell my work to make enough money to live on, so that I can devote all my energies to writing. 
Atthys Gage
Posted: Saturday, June 8, 2013 12:56 PM

I'm afraid you're correct, Toni.  Living off the land is a full-time job.
Carl E Reed
Posted: Saturday, June 8, 2013 2:07 PM

Heh-heh! May I "LOL" you, Toni? For that's what I did when I read your response: laughed out loud, while nodding my head in agreement at every word. Nicely done!
Toni Smalley
Posted: Sunday, June 9, 2013 9:13 PM
Atthys, do you have experience with this? My great-grandpa was a farmer. I remember the summers I spent on his farm in Indiana. He was outside all day, everyday. It was hard work, but he loved it, the cows, the orchard, the garden, baling hay. Good memories. But, you're right, it's full-time, pops wouldn't have had time to write his own obituary...not that anyone writes their own obituaries. 

And, Carl, you may LOL  
Atthys Gage
Posted: Monday, June 10, 2013 10:28 AM

God no!  I am civilization's lapdog.  But it doesn't take much reading on the subject to see that gathering food, toting water, cutting firewood, wouldn't leave time for much of anything beyond collapsing in exhaustion.

It's nice that you have memories of at least visiting it.  

Carl E Reed
Posted: Monday, June 10, 2013 11:09 AM

@Atthys: re: "God no! I am civilization's lapdog.

Now there's a keeper-quote!   

Someone once asked me if I enjoyed camping. "Behind mosquito netting, in a tent supplied with air conditioning, finger bowls and fully charged-up electronic gadgets? Certainly!" I replied.

LeeAnna Holt
Posted: Monday, June 10, 2013 11:32 AM

I love camping and taking day hikes. I'm not an adrenaline junkie, but I like to do some minor exploring. I'm the kind of person who likes to pull off the highway at some random folksy attraction to see what it's all about. I don't mind driving a couple of hours just to see a new bookstore either. Sadly, my condition - yes, let's call it that because I'm a dainty, fair girl with honey gold hair - makes it difficult.

I admit, I certainly like modern amenities. I don't think I could ever leave city life behind because, at heart, I know that's where I belong.
Atthys Gage
Posted: Monday, June 10, 2013 12:47 PM

I came from camping people.  I just took it as part of life when I was a kid.   Eventually I got old enough to ask myself some pertinent questions, such as:  "Why the hell are we doing this?"  

I love the outdoors, big and small.  I have an affinity for nature.  I love trees and birds.  But I really have no desire to go and live among them for more than a few hours at a time.   Am I missing out?  Probably.  But life is like that.  We're always missing out on something.  
Toni Smalley
Posted: Wednesday, June 12, 2013 2:19 AM
@Atthys: I agree with Carl, "God no! I am civilization's lapdog," had me laughing.

@Carl: Air conditioning? Finger bowls (what's a finger bowl? lol) Gadgets?...you're missing out. I slept in the back of my boyfriend's truck for three weeks as we traveled to Glacier, Yellowstone, Grand Tetons and the Black Hills...okay, I admit, we stayed at a lodge a few times, but for the most part it was the truck. The beauty of these places supersedes any qualms I had about roughing it. 
Ian Nathaniel Cohen
Posted: Monday, June 24, 2013 4:25 PM
I'm going to go with personal satisfaction, mostly because it's the one thing I have the most control over.  Regardless of how I promote my own work, I don't get to decide how much money my writing will earn, or how famous I become.  However, what I do have control over is the feeling of accomplishment when I produce a complete first draft of something, or when the day comes that I'm able to get an agent and get published - which will only happen if I work at it.
Wolf DeVoon
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2013 5:18 PM

I've had money from writing. Quite a lot of it. I've had recognition and fans and editors who wouldn't alter a word I wrote, unless there was an obvious typo that had to be corrected. I was enormously satisfied when I received a letter in reaction to something I wrote that was important, and it happened more than once.

None of that mattered. It didn't change me for the better. It didn't make me any taller, or smarter, or better prepared to write again. I had a phone call yesterday from someone I've known for a long time -- a man who loves good stories. He took time to call me and say that I was a great writer. He was speaking of books that I wrote a decade ago.

Here's the truth about writing. You will have a career arc. It happens to athletes, actors, and scientists. Most of the truly great achievements happen in mid-life, especially the 30s and 40s. A few of us are late bloomers. That doesn't change the work of inspiration. We gather powers and spend it. It's not something that can be reversed or regenerated.

What publishers want is product. Not necessarily the awkwardness of achievement. Scott Fitzgerald earned nothing from his masterpiece "Tender Is The Night," and his second novel "The Beautiful And Damned" is seldom read. Hemingway died a suicide. If I told you that Eugene Manlove Rhodes was a genius, you'd say who?

We don't write because it's a happy life, full of satisfaction and acclaim and privilege. We write because there is an urgent purpose, an irresistible calling that obliterates days and nights and whatever the wife and children need. A writer departs the world and spends every ounce of his strength. Because he must.

My writing career is over. When the light goes out, it's gone. The little piece I posted here is a chapter from my last effort, over three years ago. I was able to write eight chapters -- and then quit -- because I no longer had the power and resilience of youth, and my aim was to transcend all my previous work, to be better than ever before. It remains an unfinished work. The arc of creative life matters, and I'm no longer ascending toward an apogee of achievement.

Okay, your mileage may vary, and I wish you every success. But I certify that genius is rare, and if you really want to reach for the highest and greatest of literary Valhalla, the competition is terribly good, and publishers can't sell the best of the best. Aim lower. Much lower.

--edited by Wolf DeVoon on 8/16/2013, 5:22 PM--

Carl E Reed
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2013 11:45 PM

The articulate, well-mannered, writerly voice of experience. Thanks for contributing to this discussion, Wolf! Thought-provoking.

Only . . . I would ask you, please don't stop writing. Not entirely, anyway. Cut down the daily writing quota, sure. But cease-and-desist? No. No, you mustn't do that.

I know what writing is to a writer. (After five decades on this planet I can finally call myself a writer without flinching.) 

Writing practice is a prayerful probing into things known and unknown. It is, at its best, an interrogation of the self (through other characters, if one is writing fiction) for the benefit of the writer first-and-foremost and other people, secondarily.

It is like breathing: breath in, breath out. Center and focus. Money, fame, power--illusions; you've already let them go. Infantile traps for the spiritually retarded. 

Breath/world in; breath out/sentence down. 

Breath/world in; breath out/sentence down . . . 

We need you, Wolf.

--edited by Carl E Reed on 8/16/2013, 11:48 PM--

Wolf DeVoon
Posted: Saturday, August 17, 2013 3:37 AM

Thanks, Carl. Those are kind thoughts. Much appreciated.
DJS
Posted: Thursday, November 28, 2013 4:07 PM
Banks are robbed because that's where the money is. Mountains are climbed because they are there. The great Wallenda said, "life is on the wire. All else is waiting." I write because that's what I'm compassionately compelled to do. When I'm writing I'm on the wire. All else is waiting.

Jump to different Forum...