RSS Feed Print
12 Days of Writing
Dennise Sleeper
Posted: Thursday, December 8, 2011 12:15 PM
I received this from Writer's Digest. Thought I'd try this as something different. Join me if you'd like.

The 12-Day Plan of Simple Writing Exercises
Day 1:

Write 10 potential book titles of books you’d like to write.

Day 2:

Create a character with personality traits of someone you love, but the physical characteristics of someone you don’t care for.

Day 3:

Write a setting based on the most beautiful place you’ve ever seen.

Day 4:

Write a letter to an agent telling her how wonderful you are.

Day 5:

Write a 20-line poem about a memorable moment in your life.

Day 6:

Select a book on your shelf and pick two chapters at random. Take the
first line of one chapter and the last line of the other chapter and
write a short story (no more than 1000 words) using those as bookends to
your story.

Day 7:

Write a letter to yourself telling you what you need to improve in the coming 6 months.

Day 8:

Rewrite a fairy tale from the bad guy’s point of view.

Day 9:

Turn on your TV. Write down the first line that you hear and write a story based on it.

Day 10:

Go sit in a public place and eavesdrop on a conversation. Turn what you
hear into a short love story (no matter how much you have to twist what
they say).

Day 11:

Write the acknowledgments page that will be placed in your first (next?)
published book, thanking all the people who have helped you along the
way.
Day 12:

Gather everything you’ve written over the previous 11 days. Pick your
favorite. Edit it, polish it and either try to get it published or post
it on the Web to share with the world. Be proud of yourself and your work.

Dennise Sleeper
Posted: Thursday, December 8, 2011 12:17 PM
Yesterday, I did day one. It was a lot harder than I thought. I guess because most of my books come to me. I write what I'm told and then fill it out. This required me to research some ideas and decide if I really thought I could write about that idea. What I did was determine a potential title and left myself notes what the story was about and placed them on my writer's stick.

If you chose to do this, please post your experience and ideas.

Thanks,

Dennise

Dennise Sleeper
Posted: Friday, December 9, 2011 3:32 PM
Day 2
This was kind of fun. Mixing the two. Think I'll go back to some of my characters and make sure I have them as well thought out.

Dennise Sleeper
Posted: Saturday, December 10, 2011 1:15 PM
Day 3
I may not have picked the most beautiful place. There are many places I've been that are beautiful. I decided my setting would be Thunder Hole in Acadia National Park in Maine. I really loved visiting there and especially enjoyed the tide pools and watching the sea life that stayed behind when the tide went out. I remember the constant noise of the ocean on the rocks and the frequent reminder of its name when the waves and air thundered.

Dennise Sleeper
Posted: Monday, December 12, 2011 12:27 PM
Day 4
There's a lot to say about life's experiences, but nothing from the publishing angle. My education: An Associates Degree in Hamburgerology and one in Animal Science: Veterinary Technician have not prepared me with the skills of writing. They will be great for stories.

So,I've made a decisions.

I've written quite a few picture books and have a couple that have been given great reviews by agents. Due to the drop in purchases of picture books by the libraries and schools, they've turned me down with the recommendation that I write a novel. Then they'll sell them as a package. Well, I've a couple of novels in the works. One is here, "Second Chances", and others are in various stages from outline to first draft.

I've decided to take Jay's recommendations and continue my eduction in the writing field. I begin classes in January. Since "Second Chances" is in the science fiction genre, I've decided to work on short stories. I've read publication in the appropriate magazines is a help to being accepted in the science fiction genre as well as gaining better writing skills. I'm also thinking short stories will require a discipline I need. I'll continue working on my novels as well, depending on available time between assignments.

Oh yeah, I counted the weekend as 1 day. With the holidays keeping my Saturdays too busy to concentrate, this works better for me.

Dennise Sleeper
Posted: Tuesday, December 13, 2011 8:40 PM
Day 5
I'm surprised I managed to get a first draft. I'm a slow writer. Decided my memorable day is my wedding. Actually I covered the planning in the first 16 lines and the walk to my love in the remaining 4 lines.

Don't know if I'll ever pursue a final draft, but saved it in my future writing folder, just in case.

I'm looking forward to tomorrow's challenge. Know I'll only get a first draft, but who knows. Maybe I'll have another head start on a writing project.

Dennise Sleeper
Posted: Friday, December 16, 2011 6:39 PM
I was sick Wednesday, no internet at home, and too busy Thursday to even think about getting onto the net.

Day 6
I picked up a book that was lying around. The Prince of Tides by Pat Conroy. Never read this book or any book by Pat Conroy. Thought that might make an interesting choice for the sentences. The first sentence, ["I don't think it's that way with Herbert at all," she replied.] And the second sentence, [There was one part he left out.] I decided the fun and stretching of myself would come by not picking and choosing, so I grabbed the first ones I saw that met the conditions.
My first draft is 810 words. I changed the name of Herbert to Jack and I've placed it in my future writing folder. Who knows, this may be something some day.

Dennise Sleeper
Posted: Friday, December 16, 2011 7:09 PM
Day 7
The letter includes some of the following:

1) patience
2) better writing skills-I've already mentioned I'll be taking a writing course over the next year or so. I start classes in January. I once read a book by Mary Higgins Clark, Kitchen Privileges: A Memoir. Two about her writing career that I came away with were, 1) she needed more life experiences (I think I've plenty at my age-she was a lot younger when she started her writing career) and 2) She needed to take writing classes.
3) relax, but not so much that I don't get much writing done
4) Be satisfied with the amount of time it takes me to write. I seldom enter contests that have 60 days or less. It takes me a long time to go from idea to finished product and most of the time, I'm told, my finished product is still like an early draft. That should change from my experiences in # 2
5) Read more. I should have more reading time once the holidays are over. (sad but true. business is generally slow enough for me to get some reading time. After all I'm here a minimum of 13 hours a day, 6 days a week.)

Dennise Sleeper
Posted: Friday, December 16, 2011 9:00 PM
Day 8
Since it take so long to write even a first draft, I decided to pick a short fairy tale. The Boy Who Drew Cats from Lafcadio Hearn, Japanese Fairy Tales.

I wrote from the goblin rats POV how he was raised to be a good rat and chose to live in a large temple. His name was Artemis and he lived a good life until the boy who drew cats spent the night in his temple.

Dennise Sleeper
Posted: Tuesday, December 20, 2011 11:37 AM
Day 9
We don't watch TV. We never converted our television since we don't, so I went to the web, picked one of my favorite shows-the original Star Trek-and started my piece with the first sentence I heard, I can't seem to locate them.

I've a nice outline that can be fleshed out later when I have the time and desire.

Dennise Sleeper
Posted: Tuesday, December 20, 2011 11:45 AM
Day 10
I was busy yesterday. No time to post.

Had a ball with this one. I work Mon - Sat 9a - 9p, so being in public and just listening isn't really realistic. Yesterday, while working, I had the opportunity in my shop.

The 'girly girls' (our twin 13 year olds) had a couple of friends over. What fun I had listening to their conversations. Of course, boys came up often as they discussed who's who in their lives. Who's out and why. I'm laughing, now, thinking about it.

Dennise Sleeper
Posted: Wednesday, December 21, 2011 10:21 AM
Day 11
I am surprised at how full my acknowledgement page is. I guess there's been a lot more helping me than I thought. A great exercise for being thankful and knowing one is not alone.

Dennise Sleeper
Posted: Thursday, December 22, 2011 10:45 AM
Day 12
This was a tough decision. I teetered between Day 8 and Day 10. I've decided to polish Day 8. I'll put it up here once it's done.

Thanks for following along. Hope you had fun if you participated in the 12 days of writing.

Merry Christmas (and this means whichever holiday you participate in this time of the year, including those who don't. Put a smile on your face and know that someone out in the www is hoping you have a wonderful day.)

Joe Bridges
Posted: Monday, January 9, 2012 11:17 PM

I love this! It's crazy, and I'm going to do it soon. Thank you for posting it!
JeopardyQueen
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2012 3:16 PM

I am on Day one which I finished earlier. I wasn't sure if they were for the  same subject but I did use different words. Day Two here I come

Dennise Sleeper
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2012 2:00 PM
This is for you. No rules except for what is written.  Mine were 10 different titles for 10 different ideas.

Hope you have as much fun as I did. And now I have things to write in between my novels.

Thanks for joining me in this exercise.

JeopardyQueen
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2012 1:58 PM

Day 5
It almost didn't happen. I did manage to write one later in the evening. I didn't try to make it rhyme. Looking forward to Day 6

Dennise Sleeper
Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2012 12:03 PM
I didn't bother to make mine rhyme either. I did prose. Sorry I haven't been on. I'm taking a writing course and it takes up a lot of my time. I'm actually going to use Day 3's prompt for my next assignment. I really liked and am glad I can use it. It's a trip I took with my husband, 20-25 years ago, and the scene has stuck with me since. I'll post it once it's ready.

I'm still polishing Day 8.

Jump to different Forum...