RSS Feed Print
Tendinitis anyone?
A J Hart
Posted: Saturday, December 3, 2011 7:09 AM

I get awful pain in my elbows, wrists and fingers (I'm assuming its tendinitis) when I spend time writing. Most of the time I write on my computer, but I have experienced this with writing in a notebook as well. It frustrating to have to stop mid paragrah because my elbow is killing me. 

Does anyone else have this problem? What do you do?! 

Icyhot works some of the time, and the obvious solution is to stop writing or write less (hahahaha). Any other tricks I'm missing? 
Jay Greenstein
Posted: Sunday, December 4, 2011 12:11 AM
Try Dragon Dictate and eliminate the typing.

It has lots of flaws, If you say the word "reader," for example it thinks you told it to read R, and speaks the letter. But for the most part it's good, You need to edit, but it can reduce the amount of keystrokes by 90%. It even allows you to add words, and to train individual words that it seems to misunderstand often.

It's not cheap, because the price usually includes the microphone. If you already have a compatible mike it costs less. (I'm using a $30 Logitec gamers headset and it's not as good as it could be)

For your application it could be a life saver.

Angela Martello
Posted: Sunday, December 4, 2011 8:52 AM

It could be carpal tunnel syndrome. Some friends of mine have had some relief by wearing wrist braces. You can also try an ergonomic keyboard or a keyboard tray that allows you to set your keyboard at a negative incline. This lets your hands and wrists rest at a more natural position.

Good luck and I hope you find some relief soon!

Danielle Poiesz
Posted: Monday, December 5, 2011 12:13 PM
I sometimes get wrist pain too. I like to use a wrist pad so that my wrist lies at a more natural position and isn't straining as much. =)

stephmcgee
Posted: Tuesday, December 6, 2011 12:16 PM

You might try locating a Tens unit.  (I don't know if I spelled that right.)  My mom got bad tennis elbow when she moved her horses home and started the manual labor of caring for them and mostly from cleaning stalls.  She got this Tens unit which is just electrical nodes that you stick on the sore spot and turn it on.  It sends electrical impulses into the muscles and it really did seem to help her.  (That and temporarily hiring someone to clean stalls for her.)  She now uses her tractor to do the heavy lifting and it's really made the pain go away.
A J Hart
Posted: Tuesday, December 6, 2011 6:59 PM

Thanks for all of the great ideas everyone!

I'm interested in trying out the Dragon Dictate and the Tens unit. A brace and wrist pad might be in order in the mean time. 

Jump to different Forum...