RSS Feed Print
Creating Characters - Tools & Tips & Tricks
JoeTeeVee
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2012 1:53 PM

Where do you `draw' your Characters from?
If from real life... or even otherwise -

Do you have a set of `Character Creation Tools'?

eg:

CHARACTER - and the 9 ENNEAGRAMS 
THE 4 HIPPOCRATIC HUMOURS 
PHYSICALITY: SOMATYPES 
JUNG’S 8 PERSONALITY TYPES  
12 ASTROLOGICAL STAR SIGNS 
THE HERO'S JOURNEY CHARACTER ARCHETYPES  
SYD FIELD'S CHARACTER TEMPLATE 
A 3-D CHARACTER PROFILE - STRIKING POINTS 
CHARACTER ARCS
etc

If not - this free PDF below has worksheets... and may well be interesting to you... (Or, not.)

The Writer's Workbook
http://www.lulu.com/product/ebook/feature-screenwriters-workbook/15459299

Wait - Is this formula writing? 
Yes.

But - Can the Author then be free to do whatever they feel like with `the formulae'? 
(ie - Use, ignore, or subvert or a combination of the above) Also, yes.

Thoughts/opinions/feedback most welcome...

Cheers

JoeTV
http://on-writering.blogspot.com/

Alexander Hollins
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2012 3:44 PM

I try hard not to draw from any one source. I had a character once who was simply a guy I knew, inserted. I then went about changing enough things to make him not that guy, but still have the traits I wanted.

Rachel Anne Marks
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2012 12:10 AM

I'm a bit of a people watcher, so I stick with inspiration from real life to spark the flame. And since no two people are alike you can't really get it wrong as it pertains to all the personality charts and whatnot--I kind of think that can just make it harder, but I'm a "character first"-type writer. It's plot where I need the extra help...lol.

LeeAnna Holt
Posted: Thursday, February 2, 2012 11:36 AM

As a writer who focuses on character, I try to create the people that I want and how I want them to react in a certain situation. Its hard not to draw from some source, but I too am a people watcher, and that helps to round them out so that no characters are the same. What I find helps is to write shorts on a character's formative moment in life to figure out who they are. (I have two such stories up on here.) That way I have who they are and what their motivations are like, how they got a certain way, etc. I can't just make a chart. I recently wrote a short story where the female protagonist had to be different from what I was used to. She had to be compliant, sweet, and shy even though she harbored her own rebellious feelings. It was a challenge, but we'll see how I managed it once I get the story put up here.
Danielle Bowers
Posted: Monday, February 13, 2012 9:45 PM

I do what LeeAnna does with short stories about my main characters.  For me, I've found spreadsheets take up too much time with useless info if you fill them out before writing.  I keep character bibles with blank spreadsheets and add data to them as I learn the character.  That way if it is in the bible, that means the information is in the book and I will have to track down the tags to change it.

Character creation.  Before I write a story it percolates for a while in my head.  By the time the metaphorical pen meets paper I have a good idea of a rough personality.  Once the story weaving begins I let the characters unfold on their own. 

Starting a story is like meeting someone for the first time.  They show you their best face and it isn't until later that you see the mountains of baggage they're dragging behind them.

Alexander Hollins
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2012 10:17 AM

danielle, somehow keeping a spreadsheet on characters, like some kind of mad libs cum fbi file, feels dirty...  and yet, I could so use that kind of codification. What all categories do you set up on your blank sheets?

Danielle Bowers
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2012 2:52 PM

Alexander- I use Scrivener for my character/story bibles because I like the fact I can add photos/sketches to any file. 

Categories- I keep it basic. 

Stats- Hair color, build, eye color, height.

Family/Friends- I only list them if they're mentioned.

Clothing- If any clothing get's mentioned or described I try to find a picture of what I'm thinking about.  When I go back into edits I just check the pictures to see what was intended.  This will save you from a sleeveless shirt growing sleeves halfway through a scene.  (been there)

Formative Past-  I break this up into Child/Teen/Adult for ease of finding info.  Again, the only time I write anything is if it goes into the story or is pertinent to something the character does within the story. 

School- Any reference to schooling here.  Degrees/classes.

Places-  Where the character has been/lived. 

Work-

Likes/Dislikes/Fears-  This is like a junk drawer. If the characters are getting ice cream and Billy Bob gets chocolate?  It goes here.

Most people fill everything out on spreadsheets to get a better feel for their character.  I don't bother.  I've found it easier to fill it in as I go so if I decide to add something later I can see at a glance if there is going to be a conflict with existing material.

Danielle Bowers
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2012 2:58 PM

I'll add that locations get their own character file.  Basic descriptions with a sketch or picture of the location if a lot happens there.

LeeAnna Holt
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2012 12:33 PM

Wow, its amazing how much work people go through to get their characters right. I'm beginning to feel a bit like a freak since I don't keep near this amount of tedious notes about my characters. Heh. To each his own I guess...

What I find helps some times is to get other people's opinions on a character. My husband and I will discuss character traits, how their upbringing effected them, etc. until they sound like someone we've known for years. It's a great way if you have someone willing to talk about a fake person.
T Gillmore
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2012 1:12 PM

LeeAnna, don't feel bad. I didn't start at all with a character list either.
My characters start to develop a life of their own when I write. Then I needed to remember who sounded like what and I started to keep track of their traits, personality etc, just like Danielle. My is in a program called Ywriter5. its free and easy to use. I do this mainly to keep my sanity.

In the original question: I don't write with one person in mind. I like mixing the good and bad traits from me, people I know, and people I don't know like crazy celebrities. The latter is always fun.

Danielle Bowers
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2012 2:14 PM

LeeAnna, everyone does things differently and there isn't a right or wrong way.  I'm a bit OCD about details and note keeping, but I didn't start keeping bibles until I had stories running that spanned multiple books. 

LeeAnna Holt
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2012 6:49 PM

My characters span multiple books too (only one is typed up), I just manage keep it all in memory. Thats what I meant about the freak comment. I have a terrible memory, except when it comes to fake people and made up places. Apparently.
Angela Martello
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2012 8:24 PM

LeeAnna - I'm with you. Most of the details of my characters are stored in my sometimes scrambled brain. I do have a file with some minimal notes about each character (hair, skin, and eye color; approximate height and weight). I didn't actually write out more details of each character until I prepared a synopsis of my book that needed to include info on the characters as well as the plot.

As to how I created them in the first place, they - like real people - have evolved over the years I've been working on the three (and now four) books. No individual character is based primarily on any real or fictional person. They are, instead, conglomerations of traits and quirks drawn from people I know, people I've observed, fictional characters (from books, TV, movies), famous people, infamous people, and myself.

I have noticed, though, that lots of folks on Book Country use various software programs. Maybe, some day, I'll try one.

RJBlain
Posted: Thursday, February 16, 2012 6:26 PM

Interesting discussion. Here is a bit on what I do:

Novel writing for me is one part discovery, one part intent. I tend to think of stories in plots, and the characters develop and grow from some stereotypes I set for them... but I always try to have twists on the stereotypes before I start.

As I discover the characters, I get a better idea of how they would behave. I start with standard physical appearances, which go in my novel bible. Personality develops from there as I get to learn the character.

Unfortunately, the process of development literally varies from character to character with me. I don't use one standard form for every character because they're all different. So, I do what fits each individual character.

I hope that makes some sense.
Alexander Hollins
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2012 11:43 AM

My problem is that I've discovered that by the end of a book, i'm mixing up some of my characters, especially when I take a long time to come back to a story and write more.

LeeAnna Holt
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2012 6:40 PM

If you have problems defining how your characters act/respond to a situation, I came up with a fun little thing I use to describe their personalities to people:

They (all your characters) are at a tavern/cantina/restaurant (or another kind of crowded place with libations). One of them gets up to use the bathroom/outhouse (again, whatever). When she/he opens the door, they find two people having sex. Here is how he/she reacts: (I will use my main group of characters)
Melody: "What the hell? Don't you know that this is a public place?" The two people stare at her. "Put yourselves together now. I am not peeing in the alleyway. I warn you, I'm armed and really have to go."
Adamar: Turns bright red. "Sorry. Sorry. So, sorry." He shuts the door and walks back to his seat. His training has taught him how to hold it.
Tao: A creepy smile spreads across her face. "Do you mind if I join?"
Cyn: "Such weakness." He drags the people out, half clothed, into the public eye so that he can use the toilet and humiliate them at the same time.
Thomas: With a face as white as a sheet, he closes the door and sits down. As it turn out, he didn't have to go all that bad.

This helps me define their personalities. I know that it seems a bit odd, but a simple situation can really tell you plenty about your characters. I'd like to someone give it a try to see if it works for you. If not, at least you can get a giggle out of mine if you find it funny.

As for writing software, I found that I try to use it only to start digging out my notebooks and colored pens again. My brain does not function at full capacity in front of a computer.
T Gillmore
Posted: Sunday, February 19, 2012 11:38 AM

That's a great idea. Not only is it one way to keep your characters in check, it's a fun exercise.

Oh, and I have character who would love to meet Tao.
LeeAnna Holt
Posted: Sunday, February 19, 2012 5:01 PM

I'm sure. Of course, if you knew more about her, that character would probably get the creeps and stalk off. My story about her is a favorite, mind you. Wink wink. Nudge nudge.

Glad that you like it. It's really fun to do.
SusanElizabeth
Posted: Sunday, February 19, 2012 8:58 PM

Does anyone remember the personality quiz chainletters that went around in the beginning days of email? There were around 50 questions that said "Coke or Pepsi?" "What's your favorite childhood memory?" Etc. etc... Sometimes in the beginning of a story, I'll have my new characters take this quiz and fill out the random blanks.

I also find the archetype approach very interesting.

Though, I've found that by the time the story is done, my characters are very different from these stenciled, well-planned, early version of themselves.

Wilson Mitcham
Posted: Monday, February 27, 2012 9:23 AM

I don't always set out to create a character. Sometimes I do, as the story requires, but usually the only reason I have an idea for writing is because a/the character keeps popping up in my head or in little scenes as I daydream/imagine.

Yoshay Lama
Posted: Sunday, April 1, 2012 7:12 AM

Wow! it is very interesting to read what you all have to say and how much work you all invest in character building. I am impressed! As far as my characters are concerned, they are usually born when i am lying down in my bed waiting to fall asleep. I usually have to jump out, grab a pen and my notebook and scribble on it lest I forget it the next morning. Next day, my story and characters start holding hands.

SusanElizabeth
Posted: Monday, April 2, 2012 8:51 AM

Just came across this link of Twitter. A fun little set of character development questions.

http://critiquesisterscorner.blogspot.com/2012/03/character-development-worksheet.html

Nevena Georgieva
Posted: Monday, April 2, 2012 10:09 AM

Susan, this is a cool character questionnaire. Thanks for sharing =).
Tim Chambers
Posted: Wednesday, April 4, 2012 6:30 AM

I write organically, so I don't map out character traits before I start. I decide what my characters objectives are, put them into a scene together, start writing dialogue, and let them develop naturally. Sometimes they work together, sometimes they're in conflict. Most of my character development takes place in scenes.  Once I know what they're about I begin fleshing them out, and developing their foibles and contradictions.
Mimi Speike
Posted: Tuesday, April 10, 2012 11:45 AM

My creatures invent themselves. I don't wonder about who they are. They tell me. Even my bit players, thrown into the fray because I need something specific to happen, discover their purpose (or don't) under my lax supervision. Very often they have better instincts than I do. 

I give them carte blanche to do and be what they will, until their whims threaten to subvert my long-range plans. I can afford to do this because, aside from a few major plot points, I'm making it up as I go along.

I'm an adherent of the Happy Surprises method of writing, also known as No, I Don't Know What I'm Doing, But I Ain't Gonna Let That Stop Me.

Timothy Maguire
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2012 8:31 AM

One system I'm using a lot at the moment is the 'Aspect' system from the FATE RPG (used mostly in the Dresden Files RPG. Yes, I did it again).

Basically, idea is that you can measure a character's personality with a number of Aspects (generally five) which are descriptive sentence fragments that define Aspects of who they are. In the game, these are used to influence actions and behaviour, but simply mapping them out can give you an idea of who your character is.

There's normally five that I define like this:

High: the general character concept (so psychopath trying to be 'good' or Hero searching for a cause)

Trouble: The aspect of the character's personality that keeps causing them trouble (ie must annoy everyone or think later)

Past: A defining element of the character's past that still haunts him (ie unwilling killer or bully magnet)

Relationship: A key relationship that defines the character (ie One Port, One Girl or lost my mentor)

Open: This is a sort of open free spot to put a free defining element that can be any of the others or something a little odd that doesn't fit anywhere else (ie I don't Trust Me or Too Many Secrets)

So for an example, let's take Lea from Slide The Scale From My Eyes:

High: Ordinary Girl, Extraordinary Circumstances
Past: Catholic School Made Me A Little Odd
Trouble: Forced Into A New World
Relationship: Is There Such A Thing As Molly-Sexual?
Open: My Great-Grandfather's Weapon

Using these, we can see that Lea's generally quite confused. She thinks she's quite normal, but she's beginning to question who she is and who she thinks she is. In addition, there's quite a few ghosts in her closet that are going to come back and bite her.

Philip Tucker
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2012 9:57 PM

I agree with Mimi Speike.  My characters (such as they are) reveal themselves to me when I write.

I don't use any abstract cueing system, although I can see how one could be stimulating.  I don't make a plan.  It's all I can do to get two characters to exchange hellos, much less live up to a predetermined template.

To a degree, for me, character grows out of plot.  That's hifalutin for, I dump a bunch of names together and put them on the road.  Then I step back into two weeks of block, angst, disgust for my work, and procrastination.  Sometimes that produces a little dialog, and the chars just speak for themselves!  It's that easy, that simple, and it works!

Yeah, right.

Delroy Henry
Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2012 8:33 PM

This is all useful information. I’m use to letting my characters develop themselves but I like the idea of using the development worksheet. I’m sure it can help me weave in certain qualities and help me give them a bigger persona.

MariAdkins
Posted: Sunday, June 24, 2012 4:11 PM
I'm going to totally cheat in my response by putting a link to a blog post I wrote in May:

http://blog.apexbookcompany.com/2012/05/23/it-builds-character/

Jump to different Forum...