RSS Feed Print
Why is SF Romance the Romance Bastard Child?
Ann Mayburn
Posted: Tuesday, March 15, 2011 5:02 PM

Is there a reason Science Fiction Romance is left hanging out in the Science Fiction area? All other Romance sub-genres are together in a happy little group.

Is SF Rom the unpopular kid at school? Forever doomed to sit alone during lunch?

neciaphoenix
Posted: Tuesday, March 15, 2011 8:15 PM

I don't know. I'm still looking for the sub-genres. o.O
MarieDees
Posted: Tuesday, March 15, 2011 8:56 PM

That is odd because the hard core SF readers I know think it belongs in romance.

In the topics section find the Suggestions thread and leave a suggestion that it needs to come over and join the Romance genre. That way Colleen and Danielle can give it another look.
neciaphoenix
Posted: Tuesday, March 15, 2011 9:17 PM

At least SF Romance has its own mention. I can't find Fantasy Romance listed anywhere....
Ann Mayburn
Posted: Tuesday, March 15, 2011 11:12 PM

Your right, the table of elements, I mean the book genre map doesn't have a square for romance fantasy. It probably got lumped in with paranormal romance which is what usually happens.
neciaphoenix
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2011 12:00 AM

I just found that. I am going through this place in between chasing kids and changing diapers. I just sent in the little suggestion. I'm not the only person who writes romance fantasy......

or am I?

**peers around**

Oh and, as MarieDees mentioned, I also suggested they move the romance SF over to the romance section too.

neciaphoenix
Posted: Thursday, March 17, 2011 8:56 PM

ooo sounds fun though.

Robert C Roman
Posted: Saturday, March 19, 2011 2:52 PM

Preach it sister Yasmine!

I wrote a UF short - action adventure with a serial killer and a CSI who were both magi - and a reviewer panned it with the comment "This M/M short has no sex at all!"

I've also written a SteamPunk Military Romance where one beta reader said it was SteamPunk, but wasn't Romance, and another said it was a Romance, but might not be SteamPunk, and a third placed it firmly in Military Action. I'm so confused.

Then again, maybe everything I'm writing is really SFR, I *was* the unpopular kid at school who sat alone at the lunch table.
NoellePierce
Posted: Wednesday, March 23, 2011 1:38 AM

I usually read historicals, so forgive the ignorance: what is the difference between fantasy romance and paranormal romance? Is it a matter of setting? Characters? Tone?

Iz confoosed. *grin*

x♥x
Monday
Posted: Thursday, March 24, 2011 1:08 PM

I was going to say the same thing, NoellePierce. I'm never sure where sub-genres collide. I usually find that I think of Paranormal and Magical Realism as close together, with Fantasy Romance being a second category, but the more paranormal I read, the more I separate all three. But that's only for me, I wondered if there were more technical definitions as well.
Alexander Hollins
Posted: Thursday, March 24, 2011 7:01 PM

I personally think that a Genre Map should look more like an actual map. You know, have the Sci Fi plains, with the Romance mountains running through the center, and the Romance mountains run along other genres until it gets back to the Seas of Passion. Kinda like this http://xkcd.com/256/ .

That, or such things should appear in both main genres. So both SF and Romance have a sub category of SFF romance.
Robert C Roman
Posted: Monday, March 28, 2011 3:24 AM

@Noelle, Monday - Unless I've been completely misinformed, Paranormal Romance is a close parallel to Urban Fantasy. Fantasy Romance is closer to Contemporary or High Fantasy.

@Alexander - I wonder if we could get Russell to code something for us?
NoellePierce
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2011 7:33 PM

Thanks, Robert! I was thinking that, too, but figured I'd ask, just in case my assumption was way off.
Ellie Isis
Posted: Thursday, March 31, 2011 2:35 AM

Actually, I agree with where the romantic science fiction is placed--under science fiction.

There is a difference between romantic science fiction and science fiction/romance.

Romantic science fiction, which is how the sub-genre is titled here, has been defined for me as primarily science fiction that happens to contain a romance or romantic element. It may very well not have a happy ending. The science fiction is the main component of the story.

However, sci-fi/romance, is really a romance set in a science fiction setting. It follows all the requirements of romance, including a Happily Ever After or at least Happily For Now ending. The romance is the main component of the story.

I write both and actually see them as two different sub-genres. Instead of moving romantic science fiction to the romance area, I think they should just add the sub-genre of sci-fi/romance under the romance heading.
kateerobert
Posted: Saturday, April 2, 2011 12:47 AM

@Ellie Isis.

I do agree with you on the definitions, but I think the problem is this category seems to encompass both definitions. For example, the authors listed apply to both. Ann Aguirre is definitely science fiction with romantic elements. Her series might end with a potential HEA, but the individual books don't.

Linnea Sinclair, though, is definitely romance. All of her books end in HEA and they all cover different couples. While the SF is amazingly fleshed out, the true central story is the romantic journey between two people.

So I'm not sure how this would work with the Genre Map. I, personally, write SF romance, but I can see how it would be difficult to classify between SF and romance.
Ellie Isis
Posted: Saturday, April 2, 2011 6:01 PM

Ah, I hadn't looked at the examples on the actual map. And I agree with your analysis of those two authors, both favorites and friends of mine.

I guess it will have to be like searching for these authors in a book store. You check both areas (science fiction and romance) and see where you find what you're looking for, right?
kateerobert
Posted: Monday, April 4, 2011 4:33 PM

@Elle

Yeah, I think that's what will have to happen. Part of this is because the SF subgenre of romance is so small compared to the others. I guess it's just not popular enough at this point to justify it's own category. Hopefully that will change in the future because I, for one, and a huge fan!

Jump to different Forum...