RSS Feed Print
Is fiction writing a dying art?
JFSurvivor
Posted: Tuesday, October 6, 2015 3:54 PM

Aside from high school I have not met one person in real life (as in not online) who likes fiction. Is it just me or does anyone else have this problem?
Amber J. Wolfe
Posted: Tuesday, October 6, 2015 4:09 PM

Hmm . . . good question.

I have one friend who I know likes to read. Others are 'every-once-in-a-while' readers. But this world is a big place, so there's a nice amount of readers.

With twitter and the internet to take up everyone's time, reading novels is a dwindling source of entertainment. It's sad, but true. However, there are still readers. Until the day all readers are gone, writing books will continue to be a strong source of entertainment in someone's life.

Amber

Mimi Speike
Posted: Tuesday, October 6, 2015 6:59 PM

JF, tell us about yourself. I believe you've said you are young. From your questions and the bit of your writing that I've read, you seem, if you are a young person, a very sophisticated one.
JFSurvivor
Posted: Tuesday, October 6, 2015 7:54 PM

Why thank you! XD I'm at that weird age where I am young at heart but I have a good amount of wisdom. I'm 21. In some areas I feel much younger and in other areas I feel ancient. Does that make sense? Also my writing, you're reading like the zillionth draft XD. 

I just posted some of my first draft writing and yeesh! Lol I do a lot of self editing.

I also got spoiled in a fiction class in high school because they gave really good critque! They really helped me hone my skill.

--edited by JFSurvivor on 10/6/2015, 7:56 PM--

Charles J. Barone
Posted: Wednesday, October 7, 2015 12:41 AM

You sound like the opposite of me, JF. I'm where I always dreaded, being on the cusp of old age while still feeling and thinking young.

And, I started writing because of a teacher in 3rd grade. She asked us to write a paragraph about something on our desk. I chose my pencil and the paragraph took up 2 sides of the sheet of paper. She chose my 'paragraph' over all the other 30 kids work to read to the class. I was hooked from then on. It didn't help me get any better but from that day I've written stories, novels and novellas.

I remember rough story lines from some, and I've used the ideas for work I've done in recent years.

*edit* I just realized I never answered your question. I know quite a few people who are readers. They all enjoy fiction, mostly crime type fiction - thrillers. I write that type of genre, usually with a paranormal or supernatural twist, but personally prefer to read history, such as old diaries, journals or historical works from America's past. There, you learn the real history of the nation from someone who lived during a specific era. I'm currently reading a book written by a veteran of the Army of Northern Virginia, who survived all the major battles in Virginia, and Gettysburg and Antietam. 

While writing my latest epic, Danielsford, I buried myself in old writings and books dating from the Puritan era. I used almost none of the information, but I felt I needed to know it.

--edited by Charles J. Barone on 10/7/2015, 1:02 AM--

Perry
Posted: Wednesday, October 7, 2015 6:06 AM

I have had people read my short story collections and then ask me about the stories in ways that proved that they actually read them and liked them, and knew things about the stories that I had forgotten. 

Sometimes someone will say "I wish I'd met you when" this or that coming of age story happened. They flatter me by thinking my stories are real; they think they're autobiographical, but they are not.

I know a lot of people who enjoy reading fiction.

And I know some very fine fiction writers with small readerships, or for one reason or another will never be published, which is a shame.

JFSurvivor
Posted: Wednesday, October 7, 2015 8:02 AM

@ Charles: Wow! You must have had an awesome teacher! Also why is it that crime drama is so darn popular? My mom and dad refuse to read what I write because they don't like the genre. They are more in to crime and murder mystery.

@ Perry: well then you are lucky! Very few people like what I write. As I said before, even my parents don't like it which kinda kills me inside.

Charles J. Barone
Posted: Wednesday, October 7, 2015 3:03 PM

Why is crime drama so popular? Beats me. Most people I know all seem to be reading it, or similar. From Harlen Coben to Patterson to Grisham's work. Some die hards, like me, have a collection of hard boiled detective thrillers. Mine are by Mickey Spillane. His are dated, but they're still all in print and still selling well. That tells me there could still be a market for a very non PC private detective who isn't going to be sensitive or understanding regardless of the world he lives in.

My series character, Frank Cirilli, leans that way. He isn't Mike Hammer by any stretch. No character can be. Mine is very right wing, not politically correct and says pretty much what he thinks. Since he's mostly me, I couldn't write him any other way. 

So far, the four or five people who read my stuff, some friends and some vague acquaintances, like it. Nobody's complained about Frank's politics anyway, assuming they even noticed. 

Perry
Posted: Wednesday, October 7, 2015 9:26 PM

JF,

I may be lucky, as you say. But I think we make our own luck. I have written short stories with a niche readership in mind. I've been rewarded with compliments and sales.

Some of my best stories are unpublished to date because I haven't found their audience. I have more study to do, study about markets and readers.

I'm writing my first novel. Like many here on BC I know mine is a great story. I'm living in the story in deep edits, making it a little better every week. I don't know what genre it is. Maybe it's a romance, but the love interest doesn't appear until chapter 19 or so, so maybe it's something else. Will I be lucky with this one? Yes, if I make my own luck.

Perry 

John Speikers
Posted: Thursday, October 8, 2015 2:51 PM

I think there is a lot of formula fiction out there: romance, paranormal and apocalyptic sagas that seem alike.  Folks who read one don't want to read another any time soon.  In my genre (Sci-Fi) the same holds true regardless of how fantastic the setting.  Good fiction authors tackle unorthodox themes, but these valid novels are drowned out in the deluge of the escapist plots.  Readers of fiction have to be way more discriminating than readers of non-fiction.  There are no easy guideposts in fiction.  Genre only tells a thin side of the story.  Great fiction implies great content and unforgettable characters.  It's impossible to describe either inside a paragraph or two.

#   My advice is to stick with classical authors.  Sooner or later, you'll find contemporary authors who keep to the same high standards.  I can name dozens, but I won't.

Mimi Speike
Posted: Thursday, October 8, 2015 11:15 PM

This may always have been true, I don't know. Many many readers want a good story, period. I want a good story, and I want to marvel at how it is told. 

Jump to different Forum...