RSS Feed Print
Reveiw question
Lucy Basey
Posted: Friday, September 11, 2015 9:13 AM

Hi all,

This may be a silly question, but not knowing the answer has put me off reviewing some of the work I've read on here, so enough is enough, I'm asking

I was wondering just how much of a novel should we review? I automatically assume that we should review novels in their entirety on here, if it's a completed novel that's been posted on here, surely the author wants a thorough review, right? But sometimes I worry I won't have the time to commit myself to the entire novel, and sometimes I just don't feel invested in a story enough to read the whole thing. I only have opening chapters on here, and I'm more than happy for people to only review, say, chapter one to three, or even chapter one alone. But is everyone else looking for this sort of feedback too? Or will I come across as rude if I only review the opening chapter(s) ?

Thanks everyone

Amber J. Wolfe
Posted: Friday, September 11, 2015 1:07 PM

Hi, Lucy. It's been a long time

I doubt that anyone would consider it rude if you don't read a manuscript all the way through to the end. If it doesn't engage you enough to continue, review the chapters you've already read and post it. Maybe even explain why the manuscript didn't engage you--too much flowery prose, not my kind of story, etc.

A lot of people upload full manuscripts--myself included--and hope for reviews of the entire thing. But we're grateful for reviews of the first few chapters, too. If you take the time out of your day to read a little of our stuff and review it, then we're grateful--or at least I am

So, no, it's not rude to not read an entire manuscript. Read as many chapters as you please and review them.

Hope that helps.

Happy Writing!

Amber

Kawasaki
Posted: Friday, September 11, 2015 7:35 PM

Lucy--While I only have the first 5 chapters posted of Dark Side of the Rising Sun, I'd appreciate a review from you. Even just the first chapter or two would be fine if the suspense-thriller genre doesn't appeal. EVERYone's feedback so far has been helpful in various ways, so I look forward to yours. I certainly wouldn't take it as rude should you not continue after a reading a bit. I do it all the time with published novels, never mind stuff from aspiring novelists like myself. If feedback is going to help, it has to be honest, not forced.

--edited by Kawasaki on 9/11/2015, 7:36 PM--

Lucy Basey
Posted: Sunday, September 13, 2015 4:37 AM

Thanks for your responses, I feel much better about reading and reviewing now. Off I go to get some reading in!
DeNeve
Posted: Sunday, January 24, 2016 4:08 PM

The question is a very good one. 

I plan on reading the first 10 to 20 pages if that many. By then I should have an idea how much effort that author put into the project. A lot of writers don't understand about revision. I was on another site like this one, and there were lot of very young writers. I started reading a novel. I typed several pages of mostly grammatical corrections.  The story, itself was illogical.    The plotting errors should have been evident with a proofread.  I stopped reading.

I also read an entire novel by a retired friend. It too needed extensive editing, and the violence was over the top. Young people are not the only ones who fail to spend enough time with their writing projects.

Writing is a skill, and not everyone has mastered that skill.

There are a lot of problems  that can pop up. I want to give the young writer good advice and help, but I don't plan on commenting on every missing comma or misplaced modifier.  And some problems should be evident to a writer who at least took the time to proofread before he or she posted. 

If anyone wants me to read their material, it needs to be beyond first draft, it needs to be thought through and edited to the best of that author’s ability.

Jonathan
Posted: Monday, January 25, 2016 8:31 PM

Thanks for asking, as a new member I had the same question.

I uploaded my entire work, though for some reason fear takes hold on review and yes can people steal your work?

I haven't published it yet, and I may have put it in the wrong part as it is asking me questions re about selling it as an e-book.

Ah the learning curve

Jonathan

--edited by Jonathan on 1/25/2016, 8:32 PM--

Dalton
Posted: Monday, February 1, 2016 11:32 PM

Jonathan—

I, too, had some trepidation about posting my entire work, but I did. Personally, I’d be shocked if someone actually stole the idea.

I clicked on your name and went to your profile page and there’s no book listed as posted, so you might want to go back and see what happened to yours. There is a tutorial video on the site that shows you how to post a manuscript for peer review. Once it posts, it will appear in the MS list and the genre list and will also appear on your public profile page.

--David

D'Estaing
Posted: Saturday, February 6, 2016 8:18 PM

Jonathan, make sure you didn't post it under the "Publish" section. If you click on "Read & Review" (top left of your page), you'll get to the "Workshop a manuscript" through that menu. Don't click on "epublish", that's not want you want to do at this stage.
Dai Alanye
Posted: Saturday, February 27, 2016 4:51 PM

Shouldn't there be—somewhere on the Dashboard, perhaps—a link titled MY REVIEWS or perhaps LIBRARY?

I've briefly reviewed several MSs, and wish to return to a few for further reading, but no can find.

Dai Alanye
Posted: Saturday, February 27, 2016 5:58 PM

Good for you, Dai! Thanks to your help I've located the reviews I've started. You're a great guy, no matter what everyone else says.

Alanye

Debasree Book Country Assistant
Posted: Thursday, March 3, 2016 12:33 PM

If you go to the "Connect" tab and click on "My profile" at the bottom of the page, it should have books you've reviewed.

Jump to different Forum...