RSS Feed Print
Is there any way for me to download stories to an ereader for review?
Momo
Posted: Saturday, August 22, 2015 11:23 AM

A feature like this would make reviewing long pieces a lot more relaxing.
Amber J. Wolfe
Posted: Saturday, August 22, 2015 1:14 PM

Hi, Momo! Welcome to Book Country

As far as I know, you can't download stories off Book Country when they're in Peer Review. This is to help avoid plagiarism.

You can save unfinished reviews, however, so don't feel like you have to read through to the end. But be certain to save it to a Word document as well, because if you click 'new draft' your saved review will be lost.

This is a bug Book Country has yet to fix.

MauriceR
Posted: Saturday, August 22, 2015 5:19 PM

I would love to see a download feature added too.
I'm one of the refugees from the soon-to-be-defunct Authonomy, another writers site. When they added downloads a year ago it increased my reading a lot and made me much more inclined to read whole books rather than a chapter here and there.

Otherwise I think you've got a great site here.

@Momo

You can always do what I used to do, which is if you find something you like ask the person to e-mail it to you.

Momo
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2015 2:52 AM

You could simply add it as an option for people to make their books available as Kindly books or not.

Personally, as someone mainly looking to improve my writing, and not expecting to upload a bestseller, I'm not that concerned about plagiarism. Also, as you yourself say, there is no way you can prevent someone bent on plagiarism stripping the text off the site anyway. The only real protection is to keep records and sue after the fact.

So whilst not inhibiting the determined plagiariser, you are inconveniencing honest people. Seems like an ineffective arrangement to me.

I really think it would be valuable site feature to allow multiple formats of download and reading, and strongly encourage you to add the option.

Amber J. Wolfe
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2015 4:14 AM

@Momo: You should contact Lucy Silag with your suggestions. She's the one who moderates the site and answers the member's concerns/questions/suggestions.

I wouldn't mind the feature, myself, so long as you could choose whether to allow it or not. And it's true, a determined plageriser would get your story no matter the limitations. It's sad, really.

--edited by Amber J. Wolfe on 8/25/2015, 4:18 AM--

Lucy Silag - Book Country Director
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2015 4:47 PM

It's a very interesting idea, and certainly one that we could take into consideration as we develop. For now, though, the read and review part of our site is within the manuscript reader only.
Gerontius
Posted: Saturday, August 29, 2015 6:48 PM

This is a real shame.

I just joined and had hoped I'd be able to download a couple of books to Kindle to read in the bath or bed. I'm not sure I could ever read a full book through the current interface. Do people really give complete, thoughtful reviews of full-length books on this site?

I'll give it a go over the long weekend, but I fear I will be pushed away from this potentially excellent resource by this technical limitation.

In my experience, fear of plagiarism is largely paranoia. Copyright laws are there to protect against exactly that sort of thing.

G

Jump to different Forum...