RSS Feed Print
Now for some good/bad news. You decide.
Mimi Speike
Posted: Sunday, July 26, 2015 1:36 PM

First, I’ll sneak in yet another replacement verse for Sly – The Poem:

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Da's got me wrong. I'm plenty strong. I’m plenty bad, no joke, I gad, a real Raise-Cain ... Forget it, the rest of this needs more work. Am I driving you crazy? I'm driving me crazy.  

Okay, I've got a pared-down line up. I won't post it here, I've learned my lesson. If you want to see it, go to the poem. It's only 1100 words. You don't have to comment. If you do chose to comment, comment on the story. I'm uncomfortable evaluating verse myself.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I have another piece of verse, Celestine and Her Sisters, an epic tale, 5000 words, my version of Cinderella. I’ve been on this one for nigh to thirty years also. (Sly – the Poem clocks in at two years, a toddler.)  

I haven’t dared to put Celestine up here, it’s far more intimidating than my Sly verse. Parts of it are so complex it will make some heads spin, like in The Exorcist. I don’t dare call that one a children’s book, subject matter notwithstanding. Intricate structure, and lots of psychology. Screwball psychology. As usual in my stuff, everybody's something of a nutcase. Including Prince Charming. I call him Prince Philbert. One reader said, cool. You've named him after a nut. Exactly.

In Celestine, my fairy turns herself into a mouse, because a fairy has no physical being, no vocal chords, can't speak. She goes to the ball hidden in the girl's hair, above her ear, to be able to whisper instructions. When she thinks things are in hand, going swell, she abandons the child, climbs the ball gown of one of the sisters and settles into an elaborate hair decoration, a mouse-size ship a la Marie Antoinette, and proceeds to make trouble there. That's when things go very wrong for poor Celestine. 

I’m going to look for a representative passage, be back in a bit. 

--edited by Mimi Speike on 7/27/2015, 11:07 AM--

Lucy Silag - Book Country Director
Posted: Thursday, November 19, 2015 10:20 AM

Hi Mimi--I think the reason this post hasn't seen any responses is because it is in the BC announcements section of the discussion boards! Do you mind if I delete it? Do you want to repost elsewhere on the site?

Jump to different Forum...