RSS Feed Print
Hodderscape Open Submissions August 3rd through August 16th
Amber J. Wolfe
Posted: Thursday, July 16, 2015 8:23 PM

This isn't necessarily a competition, but I wanted to share, to give my fellow writers the opportunity.

Hodderscape (also known as a Hodder & Stoughton imprint) is having open submissions from August 3rd to August 16th. They are seeking manuscripts in these genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy, and Horror. You can find out more about it here: Hodderscape Open Submission Guidelines.

Here's what I've learned, based on reading the guidelines and questions left:

1. Your manuscript doesn't have to be finished to submit.

2. If you're writing a Trilogy, you can submit even if you're only working on the first book--be sure to mention this in the email, though.

3. They want you to submit only the first 3 chapters of a manuscript (or) the first 15,000 words only, along with a cover letter, and a two page synopsis. They'll contact you if they're interested in the rest of your manuscript.

For unpublished Fantasy/Science Fiction/Horror writers, this is an awesome opportunity to be discovered. It allows new, unagented authors to get their manuscripts seen by a Publisher who's worked with Stephen King before. If you have a well-polished piece of fiction (even if it's not written in its entirety yet) you'd be mad not to take the leap. I'm going to! Even if the leap stings in the end, I can say I gave it a shot, rather than letting the opportunity slip out of my grasp. It's better than wondering, 'what if I had?' for the rest of my life.

My fellow Fantasy/Science Fiction//Horror writers, I wish you luck if you decide to take the plunge

Amber

--edited by Amber J. Wolfe on 7/17/2015, 10:07 PM--

TheresaReel
Posted: Sunday, July 19, 2015 11:14 AM

Thanks.  At the library now, printing out the open submissions guidelines.

--edited by TheresaReel on 7/19/2015, 11:15 AM--

TheresaReel
Posted: Thursday, August 20, 2015 12:50 PM

SO mad at myself!!!  I wrote on my calender when open submissions began, but not when they end.  My computer broke down and when I went to the library, the computers were down there, too; but I thought I had more time and when I went to submit (yesterday!) I saw the submission period had ended.    I wrote a great query and thought my synopsis was solid and would pique interest.  I tried to submit anyway, but got an email back that basically said, "sorry".  I could kick myself!.

Jump to different Forum...