RSS Feed Print
I am a new writer!!!
Vishnudas Soman
Posted: Friday, June 12, 2015 9:58 AM

Totally new to this area, what can I do? How can I start writing an Action Comedy?
Vishnudas Soman
Posted: Friday, June 12, 2015 10:04 AM

How can I bring in humor to the dialogues?

Amber Wolfe
Posted: Friday, June 12, 2015 3:05 PM

Hi, Vishnudas! Welcome to Book Country

You're a new writer, huh? Looking for advice on how to harvest your potential? Great!

Here's what to do first: Read and write. A lot. Study Craft and the different techniques professional fiction writers use. Get your hands on some 'How to Write Fiction' books, such as Dwight Swain's, Techniques of the Selling Writer,  Jack Bickham's, Scene and Structure, Debra Dixon's, GMC: Goal Motivation & Conflict, and Writing Fiction for Dummies.

These are the books I drew off of when I was practicing and studying Craft--and I'm still learning, even as I write my first novel, Destiny's Bond. If you absorb these book's knowledge on fiction, and utilize the techniques in your own writing, you'll be well on your way.

As you go on your journey, don't ever stop writing--you have to practice to become proficient, as all Writers must. It's the only way to nurture and discover your unique Voice and Prose.

You're interested in writing Action Comedy, correct? Then first off, start writing and reading that genre. As time passes, you'll find yourself getting better and better--while you're learning POV, Character Development, Story Arc, Pacing, Plot, and all the other aspects of good fiction writing, you'll need to write, otherwise those tools won't do you much good.

This might all seem very daunting, but if fiction is in your blood and heart, you'll study and practice until you flourish.

Oh, and as for bringing humor into dialogue? Well, that takes practice, too. For some, natural sounding dialogue comes easy. For others, it takes a lot of work to make dialogue sound right.

Here's an example of my own dialogue, that I found to be a tad humorous:

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

"Don't be silly." Disgust crinkled Karissa's nose, bursting his bubble of anticipation. "The Green Court wouldn't deign themselves to aiding a tiny village such as Ravenswood. Most likely this girl was just passing through on her way to the Western Mountain."

"At night?"

Karissa stiffened, probably at his incredulity. "Who says Light Nythpaths can't travel at night?"

"No one that I know of." He scuffed his foot on the hardwood and massaged the tautness of his nape with calloused fingers. Blazes, he was tired. "Just doesn't seem likely, with her being a female and all."

Too late he realized his error.

"Oh, Arashi, you did not just go there." Stinking of indignant woman, Karissa stood, fists punched against her thighs, sandaled foot tap-tap-tapping. "Please tell me you didn't just indicate women can't be out at a late hour, on their own."

Damn it, he thought, wincing. Me and my big mouth. "I'm not indicating anything. I'm saying most women can't defend themselves, and should have a male there to protect them."

"What?" Darkness suffused Karissa's cheeks.

"You've done it now, Arashi," his inner beast said, with undisguised glee. "You've lit a fire under the volcano."

"Women can protect themselves fine, Arashi." Karissa jutted her chin. "When trained right, we can be more deadly than any male. And you know it."

"Well, yeah." Arms folded over his chest, he shifted from one foot to the other, becoming frustrated. "But it's more difficult for them. Men always have the edge in a fight, 'cause we're stronger."

Shut up! his brain hissed. He ignored it.

"Stronger?" she shrieked. "Stronger? Are you kidding me?"

"No." Stance defensive, he scowled. "Men are stronger. It's a proven fact."

While Karissa chewed over a response to that, he hid a wag of his tail. If she could spar, she had to be okay.

"You . . . You . . ." Speaking through clenched teeth, Karissa kept on tap-tap-tapping her foot. "You . . . egotistical, arrogant male."

He coughed into his fist to conceal a grin teasing at the corners of his lips. "Can't come up with a more creative reply than that?"

A hmph. "Not right now, no," she groused. "I'm too tired to think creatively."

That drained his contentment. "You know, getting some sleep wouldn't do any harm."

Karissa chuckled, the sound hollow and without amusement. "Don't start on me, Arashi. Lying down is the last thing on my mind right now. Should I, I'll probably snooze for a weak. And under the circumstances, that won't do."

Well, damn. Couldn't argue with that.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

I don't know whether you'll think that bit of dialogue is comical, but I do--and it wouldn't have sounded so natural if I hadn't practiced. A lot.

I'm rooting for you, Vishnudas. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Amber

Dravid
Posted: Tuesday, February 16, 2016 1:08 AM

if in doubt, write.

If in doubt, write.

'If in doubt, write.'

A good a site as any to get some feed back.

Jump to different Forum...