RSS Feed Print
What is the best self-published book you have ever read?
Lucy Silag - Book Country Director
Posted: Thursday, May 28, 2015 11:23 AM

Share your recs here!

nate1952
Posted: Thursday, May 28, 2015 1:02 PM

I would think that most self-published authors, in a candid mood, would cite their own books as their favorites.

Self-publishing, after all, means thinking that - as a storyteller - you are good enough to go ahead without someone's approval. Without the validation of distant editors, and the backing of someone else's money.

And hopeful enough to think that the stories you have to tell will strike a chord with the general public: even though the sheer volume of self-publishing means that any individual book is like a snowflake in a snow drift.

Being in a candid mood: my own stuff is the best self-published stuff I've read - and Bollywood Story is probably the best of those.

Mimi Speike
Posted: Thursday, May 28, 2015 3:45 PM

I'll have to think about this. Off the top of my head: The Tale of Peter Rabbit, self-published in 1901 by Beatrix Potter.

Robert G. Moons
Posted: Thursday, May 28, 2015 6:41 PM

I'm a fan of the writings of Hickory Cole. He's also a member of Book Country
and another writer who came from Authorstand.com.

His book "Little" is the best self-published book I have read thus far.

I also highly recommend two of his short stories, "Photographic" and
"The Offer". 

His ability to put the reader right into the head of the main character,

with great heart and subtle details of the human psyche is amazing.

His short stories and the first 21 (sample) pages of "Little" can be
viewed here:

https://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/hickorycole 

Mimi Speike
Posted: Friday, May 29, 2015 6:37 PM

Yeah, I'm being a pain, as usual, my default mode of operation.

Honestly, I have only six ebooks in my Kindle library, and three of them are classics, Austen, Twain, etc. Of the three recent works, two are definitely not potential favorites. The third book  might well be. I promised the author a read and an Amazon rating/review long, long ago. I read a bit before he published, and I really liked his voice, his style, his language. The taste I got of his atmospheric sixties era murder mystery pleased me also. The full plot, we'll see. I saw only the two or three sample chapters he had posted at the time. Here? Can't recall. Somewhere. I'm going to tackle In A Cat's Eye by Kevin Bergeron this weekend. I'll report back on Monday.

--edited by Mimi Speike on 5/30/2015, 9:49 AM--

Amanda Kimberley
Posted: Wednesday, July 1, 2015 9:21 PM

She's not technically considered an indie author anymore because she just recently signed with a publishing company-- she's more considered a hybrid now but she was an indie when I read her. 

I took a chance on reading something from her that had just come out years ago. I didn't have time to start a series, but could handle a stand alone. This one wasn't a story that she was known for, but I personally fell in love right from the start. Her writing captured me right from page one and held me until the last page. It was the first time in years that I wanted (and had the time) to read a book cover to cover in two days. 

My duties as a sandwich generation caregiver left me empty and I thought I lost my passion for reading until I read this book. Once I finished the book, I felt compelled to find her website and write her a personal note thanking her for writing the book because it really gave me my heart back.

The book title? "Trashed" by Jasinda Wilder. I'm currently reading "Alpha" by her and am almost done. I'm enjoying it. After that it's on to "Omega" in that series. 

Nevena Georgieva
Posted: Monday, July 13, 2015 8:42 PM

My favorite is Hooked by Nir Eyal, a book about building habit-forming web products. The cover was eye-catching and the blurbs top-notch, so even though I hadn't heard of the author before, I went for it.

A great read for web designers/project managers/developers or if you're generally interested in reading about companies like Twitter and Pinterest. 

Mimi Speike
Posted: Monday, July 13, 2015 9:12 PM

Thanks Navena, I'm going to look into it.

John Speikers
Posted: Thursday, July 16, 2015 11:23 AM

1) "Love Rewards the Brave" by Anya Monroe, Kindle 2015.  A great 1st-person novel written in Slam Poetry.

2) "Thorium: Cheaper than Coal" by Robert Hargraves, Kindle 2012.  A look at better alternatives for nuclear reactors.

3) "Cliff Diver" by Carmen Amato, Kindle (before 2013).  A superb detective novel of a female policewoman in Mexico.

Lucy Basey
Posted: Friday, September 4, 2015 10:10 AM

I read Book Country's very own Alys Arden' s The Casquette Girls when it was first self published, absolutely loved it. Before I knew much about the industry I'm ashamed to say that I used to avoid titles by indie authors for no particular reason but now support indie authors and have found lots of brilliant books. I'm in awe of them and the work they do. One day I might even become one!

Jump to different Forum...