RSS Feed Print
Booktrope
JanPeac
Posted: Sunday, April 19, 2015 1:19 PM

I recently had my book "High Strung" accepted for publication by Booktrope. Everything that I've read on the web seems positive.  Their model seems interesting -- team oriented, with the creative team sharing in the book profits. But, I'm not sure about them or their model.
Does anyone have any information or advice?

thanks,

Janice

Amber Wolfe
Posted: Sunday, April 19, 2015 3:38 PM

Hi, JanPeac

Well, I searched Booktrope on Bing specifically looking for mention of scams and complaints. I found a whole lot of nothing. Wikipedia didn't have a lot of information, other than they won a lot of money to help with their publishing business.

I checked out their website, as well, and didn't notice anything that blared as a red flag to me--they list a lot of books they've published, so that's good. I suggest going with your heart on this one--if this publisher makes you feel uneasy, then it'd probably be best to avoid them.

Arg! Wish I could be of more help than that.

Amber

JanPeac
Posted: Sunday, April 19, 2015 8:55 PM

I did a similar thing on Google.  Searching around for articles on Booktrope and didn't turn up anything negative...but would love to talk to someone who has worked with them, or has a little more information than what I have read on the Booktrope web site.

Hopefully someone out there in Book Country-land can help.

J

D J Lutz
Posted: Sunday, April 19, 2015 8:55 PM

Looks fairly new; and with a new business model. This could be good/great or bad/worse. Unfortunately only time will tell. I liked the concept of the team members signing up for a project, and the long-term financial interest they get. To me this means they won't just send a book out into public and then move on to another project, leaving everything to you. On the downside, something for you and your lawyer to consider:

You sign away your right to publish elsewhere for five years. If things don't work out with the team, or if you suddenly get a new opportunity, you still own the copyright, but you can't publish. I also worry about the phrase "may request their rights back." Does this mean you request and you "will get" the rights back?

I would have an attorney familiar with publishing review the contract. Then go with your gut feeling.

" Booktrope is granted an exclusive right to publish the material for the duration of the contract.(However, if we decline to publish in a specific format (such as a hard cover version) you can do so on your own.

Q: What is the length of the contract? A: Our standard agreement is five years, at which time an author may request their rights back. Should they choose not to revert their rights, the contract will automatically renew in two year increments."

JanPeac
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2015 4:45 PM

I sent a few questions to the VP who got in touch with me.  I haven't heard back from her yet, but will post again when (if) I hear back from her.

Jump to different Forum...