RSS Feed Print
What is the funniest novel you have ever read?
Lucy Silag - Book Country Community Manager
Posted: Monday, March 2, 2015 12:48 PM

Novel, not memoir! biggrin

Marlin55
Posted: Tuesday, March 17, 2015 8:37 AM

I'd have to say the funniest novel I've read is, A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole. It's filled with plenty of quirky characters that land plenty of laughs and chuckles. Sometimes it will just have you scratching your head.
Dan Martin
Posted: Wednesday, March 18, 2015 12:29 PM

Homeland, by Sam Lipsyte is probably the funniest novel I've ever read.
TheresaReel
Posted: Saturday, April 18, 2015 10:35 AM

I can't think of a novel, but I've read a collection of essays by David Sedaris, "Me Talk Pretty One Day", that made me laugh out loud.
Lucy Silag - Book Country Director
Posted: Wednesday, May 13, 2015 3:45 PM

@Theresa--David Sedaris is the best. I think ME TALK PRETTY ONE DAY was the first book I ever read where I was literally crying from laughing. Also, there is an essay in that one that does actually make me cry, too--"The Youth in Asia," the one about having to put his cat down. So many feels.

I distinctly remember shopping for a new Sedaris book at City Lights Bookstore in San Francisco in the summer of 2002, and was surprised to find him shelved in the fiction section. When I asked the bookseller about it, he just raised his eyebrows at me.

Steve Merrill
Posted: Saturday, September 19, 2015 3:59 PM

Marlin55 wrote:
"I'd have to say the funniest novel I've read is, A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole. It's filled with plenty of quirky characters that land plenty of laughs and chuckles. Sometimes it will just have you scratching your head."

I agree. It is rare to find a book funny enough to make you laugh out loud, but Confederacy of Dunces does just that. Sad to think of the fate of the author, however. To think he was unable to find a publisher for such a great book. Had his mother not been so determined after his death to see it published, we'd never know of it.

--edited by Steve Merrill on 9/19/2015, 4:00 PM--

Jump to different Forum...