RSS Feed Print
How has the Book Country community helped you with your book?
Lucy Silag - Book Country Community Manager
Posted: Monday, February 23, 2015 12:26 PM

What have you learned about the craft of writing or the business of publishing from fellow BC members? Share below.

Amber Wolfe
Posted: Monday, February 23, 2015 7:48 PM

Lucy, that is such a wonderful question--one I've wanted to have asked for a long time, so I could have the pleasure of answering.

This place, this site . . . I've learned so much. I've grown so much. The members I've connected with have encouraged, and sometimes grumped at me, to learn Craft--Jay Greenstein, another shout out to you -- and to keep writing. To never give up. My friends here--Marlin55, EB Solace, Nicholas Kotar, and others--have been so supportive. I like to believe I've gotten so much better at writing Fiction than I was those several months ago. With their encouragement, I've grown.

Does that mean I'm skilled at Craft now? Heck, no. I still have a lot to learn. Until an accomplished writer says, 'Wow, you're writing like a professional', or I catch the eye of a credible Agent or Editor, I'm not the best I can be. Whether it takes me years to reach that goal, I don't care, because I know I'll have my writer/reader friends here to keep me going. Their reviews on Destiny's Bond is aiding me in my journey, and they've been positive.

Should the day come when my Fiction is ready for publication, I'd love to mention my Book Country Mentors and Friends by name, with their permission, in the Dedication Page. But if that's not possible, I'd write something like this: For those at Book Country who believed in and never gave up on me. I dedicate this success to you. Thank you all so much.

Thank you so much, Book Country. For your honesty and encouragement. You give newbies like myself the courage and confidence to keep on the Path of Craft.

Amber

curtis bausse
Posted: Tuesday, February 24, 2015 11:28 AM

1. The very act of putting a book out for review by other writers was new for me, so that in itself was an experience. I've had fruitful feedback and exchanges with several BC members that have been encouraging and motivating - as with Amber, a special wave to Marlin55 here. Also RC Gravelle. I'm a perpetual worrier about my writing (like many, I guess) and such feedback has been precious to me.
  2. I find the reviewing process instructive because it forces me to think about writing and this inevitably filters back into my own.
  3. The discussion board has been helpful on a whole range of issues, from writing technique to marketing. I've learnt a huge amount in a short time.
I haven't joined other sites of a similar nature, so I can't compare. For the moment I find BC perfectly suited to my needs - thank you! happy

Allen Curtis Meissner
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2015 9:37 PM

Being on Book Country has helped me to get my stories out there . Nearly every time I step outside I will meet someone on the bus or on the train ( or even at the movie theatre following a viewing of The Hobbit ) someone will strike up a conversation with me . It is not long before I mention that I wrote two eBooks and that they are on sale at Amazon , Barnes and Noble , Google , and other websites . At once their interest is peaked . All I have to do then is give them the info and let fate take care of the rest !

Jump to different Forum...