RSS Feed Print
Fantastic 4 Trailer
Zach Heher
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2015 12:34 PM
Hello Book Country writers! It's been a while since I talked about one of these.

Alright, 20th Century Fox has finally released everything for the new Fantastic 4 movie. They already made two other Fantastic 4 films and they feel that this new film is the one. We got a poster, screenshots, and a 2 minute teaser trailer. And is it bad to say that this is the one superhero film I'm not excited to see?

For those who don't know a lot about comics, the Fantastic Four is a team of Marvel superheroes created by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby that consists of four scientists that go to space, get hit by cosmic rays, come back to earth and receive superpowers. Along with Spider-Man and the X-Men, the Fantastic Four is one of the most popular Marvel heroes to date. Everyone knows their names: Mr. Fantastic, Invisible Woman, Human Torch, and The Thing. Unfortunately for this new film, everything they do they receive nothing but fan backlash. And I'm one of those fans giving them backlash.
Let's look at this film's history:

1. Last year they revealed the cast, and fans raged across the internet. I think the casting isn't very smart. In the last film the cast was Ioan Gruffudd was Mr. Fantastic, Jessica Alba was the Invisible Woman, Chris Evans (before he became Captain America) was the Human Torch, and Michael Chiklis was The Thing. Honestly I thought the casting in that film was better. They looked and acted like the Fantastic 4 I always imagined. These new actors I have no clue what they are doing in this film. Miles Teller (from Whiplash) is Mr. Fantastic, Kate Mara (from House of Cards) is Invisible Woman, Micheal B. Jordan (Fruitvale Station) is Human Torch, and Jamie Bell (Billy Elliot) is The Thing. What possessed them to think they are suitable for these roles. They are all way too young. 

2. They apparently altered the origin story. Instead of them going into space, they get their powers from a lab accident. I don't know about any of you but from every comic book movie I've seen they get every origin story spot on. Why is it necessary to change this one?

3. They want the film to appear realistic by making it dark and gritty. I understand trying to make something realistic but keep in mind this is a comic book movie. Realism is usually thrown out the window ever since Superman crash landed to Earth. Also the Fantastic Four is a light-hearted, family adventure. I emphasis I the word "Family" because that is what they are usually referred to: the first superhero family.

4. They release nothing for ComicCon. No posters, no costumes, no booth, nothing. Everyone knows that this would have been the best time to reveal something about your movie.

5. A few months back they revealed that Dr. Doom was going to be in the movie. Dr. Doom aka Victor Von Doom is one of the greatest comic book villains of all time, and definitely one of my personal favorites. He rules over his own country, he builds weapons of mass destruction, he has an army of robots, he has the longest rivalry with the Fantastic 4 and the Avengers. And the best part about him is that he can't be arrested because he has political immunity. Guess what? THEY CHANGED THAT TOO! Dr. Doom will be a blogger named Victor Domashav whose blogger name is Doom. So Dr. Doom is an internet troll? *Bangs head against the wall until skull cracks*

This is probably nothing more than just pure fan rage coming from me, but I really don't think this movie will do well. I could be wrong though. I first said that Amazing Spider-Man with Andrew Garfield was going to be a disaster and I ended up really liking the movie. Maybe the movie will bomb and Fox will end up selling the rights back to Marvel I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Alright have you check out the Fantastic 4 trailer yet? Is it or is it not fantastic? Whatever you got, be sure to leave your comments below.

Jump to different Forum...