RSS Feed Print
OK, all you tech-savvy people ...
Mimi Speike
Posted: Thursday, November 27, 2014 5:49 PM

How do you download music off YouTube? The stuff I want, early demo tapes, I doubt it's on any album. Raw, not the lush sound of later, which I love as well, I want these gems in my music library. I've tried to buy the early Dire Straits album, 'Live at the BBC', and it is apparently not available. I placed an order and have not heard back from the record store, so the even earlier recordings are surely not available. I would be happy to buy them if I could. 

I know someone who was able to take music off YouTube. How do you do it?

Yellowcake
Posted: Thursday, November 27, 2014 6:16 PM

Hey there stranger ...  try this one:

http://www.youtube-mp3.org

these guys have an add-on for firefox which puts  a handy little button to click

Cheers

Al

Mimi Speike
Posted: Thursday, November 27, 2014 7:27 PM

Crap, Yellowcake. You're talking to a dinosaur here. Is mp3 something that I can play on my iMac? I still listen to music on a CD player. When I asked for one in Walmart a few moths ago, I believe they were snickering at me. I bought one of the only two in the store. 

I can't bring myself to buy one of the iPods yet. I'm working up to it. 

Amber Wolfe
Posted: Friday, November 28, 2014 4:38 PM

Mimi, downloading music from YouTube is illegal. You could get in big trouble for it if you're caught--jail time, fines, ect.

Just thought I'd warn you. What you do with it is entirely up to you. Just don't want anything bad happening to you.

Amber

Mimi Speike
Posted: Friday, November 28, 2014 6:57 PM

Thanks, Amber. Now, that is what I don't understand. I did some research last night, saw all these apps for taking music off YouTube, and somewhere in all that reading read the phrase, perfectly legal. 

I have bought plenty of DS music, and would be glad to buy the demo tapes, but I doubt that they are available. I'll go back to that record store and inquire, but I am not optimistic. 

These apps, I'm afraid to try them. Is this a way I can catch some of those nasty computer viruses? I'm taking no chances. 

I'm wanting to get copies of those songs for myself because my favorite DS concert, in full, not in chunks, that I watched for months, has lately disappeared off YouTube. I am bummed. I bought that concert on a CD, but it's not the same. MK has such expressive eyes, he is a delight to watch. He would have made an astonishing actor. 

Amber Wolfe
Posted: Friday, November 28, 2014 9:31 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't trust the apps. Some stuff, such as home videos and such are legal to download. But taking music is totally illegal, because it has been uploaded to the site without the singer's permission. Yes, listening to it on YouTube isn't illegal, but that's because the one who uploaded it has admitted to not being the copyright owner. You could get into a lot of trouble if you were caught downloading music for free. Just something to keep in mind.

Jump to different Forum...