RSS Feed Print
let the race begin
Lezli Horn
Posted: Saturday, November 1, 2014 9:12 PM

Hi all,

It is the first day of NaNoWriMo. How is everyone doing so far?

Lezli Horn

2014 NaNoWriMo: The Earl's New Clothes

Russell Giles
Posted: Saturday, November 1, 2014 10:48 PM

Woo Woooo!  All aboard the NaNo train!

My working title:  'Sweet Sorrows.'  It's something of a dystopian vision of the universe introduced in the 'Candyland' board game.   Weird?  Yes.  Fun to write?  Double yes.

2009 words for me so far.  I've got it worked out that if I can do at least 1000 works on the days I work, and 2000 words on the days I'm off, I can finish with a day or so to spare. 

Atthys Gage
Posted: Sunday, November 2, 2014 11:07 AM

Candyland!  That does sound like fun, Russell.  Much better than that Shoots and Ladders idea I was kicking around. 

I had an odd first day, not great for the numbers but productive anyway. After spending most of the day bulling my way forward (with only 700 words to show for it), around dinner time I ditched my idea for the opening and tried again. I realize, of course, that this violates the central maxim of NaNo (Just Write), but I was getting so much negative feedback from my inner editor that I knew I was on the wrong track, and it was bogging me down. 

Much better results with the new beginning. I ended up with a thousand words for the day, so technically I met my quota of 1700, but I'm only counting the thousand I actually kept. More important, Min & Wyx, a sort of paranormal romantic tragedy, has left the harbor. 

Russell Giles
Posted: Sunday, November 2, 2014 1:38 PM

Heh, I've half a mind to have my next decade's worth of NaNo novels all based on popular board games!  'Clue' would be simple enough, but what to do with the likes of 'Jenga?'  Food for thought.  biggrin

Sometimes the fresh start is all you need to get the barrel rolling just right, Atthys.  Glad to hear it seems to be working out.

I think I would totally count the full 1700 words though.  NaNo is more about what what you start that it is of what you keep.  Heh, maybe it's cheating, I but I remember one year writing a full chapter that I knew full well wouldn't make the final cut, but I wrote it anyway just to keep my wordcount momentum going.  Got my 50k, by gum, even if it only ended up 46k by the end of editing.

Lezli Horn
Posted: Sunday, November 2, 2014 5:26 PM

You are so not alone Atthys! I was so disappointed with mine I was in a state thinking that I was doing everything wrong, that my idea was bad. So I went and cleaned. Didn't think about it just listened to music. Then I went back to is, started again and voila! It started to go exactly as I wanted to I can't wait to get started after supper even after working all day.

Lezli

Atthys Gage
Posted: Tuesday, November 4, 2014 10:20 AM

There seem to be two threads going here for sharing our daily progress.  Maybe we should all switch over to the more populous one since there aren't that many of us?
Lezli Horn
Posted: Tuesday, November 4, 2014 11:56 AM

Why don't we start a nano count thread?

Jump to different Forum...