RSS Feed Print
questions
Ladyhawke
Posted: Saturday, April 19, 2014 11:30 AM

what is the range of the YA genre??

I would also like to know exactly what Paranormal means to most people....perhaps I mislabled my book in that respect?

Garfield

LeeAnna Holt
Posted: Saturday, April 19, 2014 3:58 PM

YA actually covers everything from contemporary, to fantasy and science fiction, to romance. It's kind of a catch all for books targeted at teens. You could pretty much write anything as long as the protagonist is between the ages of 14 to 17.

Although each genre does have it's own rules for what counts as YA. Dystopian YA usually has the protagonist succeed at changing the society they fight against. In adult, they often don't succeed. BC has plenty of advice on the separate genres, so don't be afraid to poke around.

Lucy Silag - Book Country Community Manager
Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2014 10:42 AM

Hi Garfield--it took me a while to figure out what exactly was meant by YA Paranormal, too. Our YA Paranormal page does a great job of explaining the basics--check it out.

A good quick test: does your book have vampires, werewolves, or other magical elements? How would you describe your book? What other books would sit next to it on a shelf?

Lucy

scott flynn
Posted: Tuesday, May 27, 2014 5:46 AM

I feel the YA genres is a hard one really because what you though was one thing there is always a crossover of sub genres. I always put YA genres on it own shelf because you never know what to expect Harry Potter is a great example of magic and fantasy with a crossover of paranormal. so no matter what area you turn you always come across something else.

--edited by scott flynn on 5/27/2014, 6:43 AM--

Janet Umenta, Book Country Assistant
Posted: Tuesday, May 27, 2014 9:15 AM

I think the diversity within YA is what makes it such a great genre. Teenagers are in a volatile stage in their lives, which allows the author the freedom to play with unique plots and settings.

Jump to different Forum...