RSS Feed Print
Imagination Overload
calicocat88
Posted: Friday, April 11, 2014 1:00 PM

I'm thinking that this isn't the first time someone has had this particular dilemma, but I want to know what everybody else has to say on the topic.

I've been rotating three different series and not one of them is near finished. I will obsess with one and then take a break, going on to the next and obsessing over it until I need a break, and so on...

So. My question here is could this possibly be a problem? Do I need to set aside all other story ideas and focus on one at a time? Honestly, I'm nervous to get too involved with the other two because I'm afraid that I'll lose momentum with the one I've put more effort into, if that makes any sense.

What do you guys have to say?

~~Calico~~

Ian Nathaniel Cohen
Posted: Friday, April 11, 2014 4:51 PM

Been there, done that, wish I had the rights to sell the T-shirt. 

I also frequently bounce between simultaneous projects - more than I probably should.  I just feel that if I don't get the idea down, whatever the project, I'll not only lose it, but I also see it as a time-saver.  I work two jobs (one full-time), write a blog, and want to spend time with family.  At the rate I'm going in terms of time to write, I feel like I have to multitask in order to make sure I get them done.

Julie Artz
Posted: Sunday, April 13, 2014 6:11 AM

I think every writer has to find a process that works for them, and if working on simultaneous projects works for you by keeping the creative juices flowing, stick with it.

For me, I tend to project jump when I get to a difficult part (whether that happens while writing a draft or, more frequently, while I'm revising). In my experience, it's better for me to persevere with the first project than to escape to the next one. The trick is knowing yourself well enough to know when you're running away from a difficult task and when you're letting new ideas inspire you and push you forward. 

Jump to different Forum...