RSS Feed Print
Commitment Issues
calicocat88
Posted: Wednesday, April 2, 2014 2:05 PM

Lately I've been discovering that I am having a terrible time committing to any decisions regarding my characters, scenes, you name it! Whenever I come to a decision I think, "Yes, this is it. This is what I want." But then I get to thinking about "What if I can do something better? Is this really what's right for the story/characters? Why doesn't it feel right?"

Does anyone else have this problem or is it an inexperience issue?

~ Calico ~

Mimi Speike
Posted: Wednesday, April 2, 2014 2:35 PM

I advise you to be flexible and just keep on writing. I have my own solution to this sort of problem that may or may not work for you.

I have set myself up as an unreliable narrator, and my characters are certainly rascals. So in sections where my thinking is not set in stone, or doesn't quite answer all my concerns, I advise my reader: this or that one is not to be trusted. His version of events may or may not prove to be the truth. Take anything he has to say with a grain of salt. I'll let you know when I dig up the real deal.

Honestly, I think that this issue plagues us all. I say, don't sweat it. Go with the flow. Have fun with it, even. You'll sort it out eventually.

Mimi Speike
Posted: Wednesday, April 2, 2014 2:56 PM

I am working through just now a section that requires very careful logic. I lean heavily on this strategy. 

And, I use a range of CYA devices throughout the book, including numerous disclaimers in chapter notes. I'm writing a piece of quasi-historical humor. But this 'don't hold me to it' tone can surely work in your favor as well, just with not so heavy-handed (for additional yuks) a delivery. 

Think about it. All our characters, in fiction as in life, have their ulterior motives. Use that. It cannot but make for a richer depiction.

--edited by Mimi Speike on 4/2/2014, 3:03 PM--

calicocat88
Posted: Wednesday, April 2, 2014 7:13 PM

Thanks Mimi!

I will try this, definitely! I love the way you say the characters are "rascals." They really are, aren't they? Sometimes I know my characters and expect them to do one thing and then they go do something completely different. I want to say it's shocking, but that's usually when my brain is like, "Oh! Why didn't I know this before? Of course they would do this. It's so them!"

Again, thanks!

Jump to different Forum...