RSS Feed Print
Writing buddies
leilani
Posted: Friday, November 15, 2013 8:46 PM

Does anyone besides me have a friend who's also a writer, with whom you swap ideas and edit each other's work? I have a love/hate relationship with the arrangement. It's absolutely critical to have someone else proofread your work, and having a fellow writer tackle offers terrific insights and specific feedback. However, it also means you have to take time away from your own writing to edit theirs, and it's a time-consuming process!

In my experience, the frustrations are overwhelmingly worth it. If you can meet up with someone dedicated enough, you'll spur each other on and both your works will be better for it.

Perry
Posted: Saturday, November 16, 2013 6:58 AM

I have two who are very fine writers.

I wish I could write like Bill. Bill is a sentence-smith. He told me what a sentence is for, and he tells me where I can stick my adjectives and adverbs.

Ann is my story consultant. She made me rewrite about half of the stories in my second short story collection.

The two of them have helped me immensely.

Ian Nathaniel Cohen
Posted: Saturday, November 16, 2013 6:32 PM

I also have a trusted friend and writing collaborator, and we share our writing with each other and solicit feedback (we're also collaborating on a big project).  Personally, given the flexibility of our writing schedules, we get around to reading and providing feedback when we're able to, so it's not a big inconvenience either way.

Also, if I'm going to ask someone to critique my work, only fair I do the same for them. 

Rob Emery
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2014 12:51 PM

While a member of another writing sight I was invited into a sub group within the system.  There was a fine group of writers who gladly read and offered ,chapter by chapter, insights to better writing. I was happy to receive the critique and most times applied the suggestions directly into my work.  There was never a better compliment I ever received than, 'I've stopped trying to correct your work and am now reading it as you post it.' I felt like popping my buttons on that compliment.  To be able to capture your audience's undivided attention is the best compliment any writer can get.happy
imawake
Posted: Friday, April 25, 2014 2:55 PM

I've just recently gotten a writing partner, and it's made all the difference. He's from this site actually, and now we email our work to each other and it's been unbelievably helpful. We are able to point out each other's bad habits and quirks, and I would never be able to edit my own work so well without his insights. We like the way the other one writes too, which makes it fun to read to read the manuscripts. I was always one of those people who wanted to do everything by myself; didn't think I needed any help at all. But now I can see that my stubbornness didn't serve me. We are ruthless with our comments, but we build each other up too, so it never seems hurtful. I wish I had done this ages ago. Yes, it does take a lot of time away from writing when you have to read someone else's work and then critique and edit it. But it's totally worth it. I feel really lucky to have found just the right person to help me with my novels.
Kawasaki
Posted: Thursday, August 27, 2015 9:09 AM

Imawake--How did you find your partner on this site?

Jump to different Forum...