RSS Feed Print
Iowans: Are you out there?
Lucy Silag
Posted: Wednesday, October 23, 2013 11:22 AM

I'm feeling a little bit homesick for my home state of Iowa today . . . and I've been spending a little time browsing new connections this morning. I'm seeing people from ALL over the world (Montana, New Jersey, the UK, South Africa, Australia, Argentina, France, Switzerland, and more!) but I am not seeing ANY Iowans.

In fact, I've only met THREE other Iowans on the site (and one of those is related to me LOL ).

Iowans, are you out there? Show yourselves! Let's connect!

Lucy Silag

Book Country Community and Engagement Manager

Richard KeslerWest
Posted: Wednesday, November 13, 2013 1:51 PM

Well, I live in the land of fruits and nuts but I was born in land of pigs and corn… written with great fondness for both states!  I have always considered myself an Iowan, and I have a couple of stories that are set in that landscape, or one based on it.  The story I have up on this site is set as firmly as possible in a somewhat slippery version of LA, though.  So, what part of Iowa are you from?  I was born in Iowa City, but my parents were both raised in the southwest part, in or near Red Oak.
Lucy Silag
Posted: Thursday, November 21, 2013 11:40 AM

Hi Richard!!

I am also an Iowan who ended up in CA (for a time, at least). I was born and raised in Ames (go, Cyclones!), but moved to Carmel Valley, CA, when I was a teenager and went to college at UC Santa Cruz.

When I was 26, I moved to Iowa City for graduate school at the UI. My dad lives in Des Moines, so I still consider the state "home"--one of many homes.

Once an Iowan, always an Iowan. There aren't that many of us!

Lucy

Jump to different Forum...