RSS Feed Print
Has anyone here used Book Doctors?
Ian Nathaniel Cohen
Posted: Monday, October 21, 2013 10:04 AM

After some preliminary feedback and advice, which has been helpful, they're recommending a one hour consultation session for query letter help and publishing strategy - which won't be free, and will frankly cost me more than I can afford at the moment.  However, if anyone has experience with Book Doctors (the actual name of the company), is it worth the investment?  Does anyone know anyone who knows anyone who's worked with them?  (Does anyone here actually work for Book Doctors?)

Thanks!

imawake
Posted: Saturday, April 26, 2014 12:26 AM

Hey Ian, I suppose this is too late of an answer and you've already probably decided either to use The Book Doctors or not. I don't have any money myself right now either, but I think it's probably worth it for those who can afford it. I have talked to David Henry Sterry (one half of the team) on the phone. I had sent in my pitch to their Pitchapalooza, which was free. They would randomly choose 25 pitches and offer advice. They didn't choose mine. However, they made an offer that whoever bought their new writing book could have a free 20 minute session on the phone with them. I bought the book ($10 on Kindle) and did have my session. DHS was funny and warm, and very helpful when I read my pitch to him. He made some useful suggestions. Then he said that when I got the pitch as perfect as I could, I could email him back with it along with my attached manuscript once it's finished. He told me he thought an agent at Levine Greenburg Agency (where his wife works) would find my book interesting. So although I haven't done that yet, and he didn't mention any money, I honestly think they are good people who want to help authors. They have written their own books and he's gotten some writing award, and has been on the NY Times bestselling list.
Mimi Speike
Posted: Saturday, April 26, 2014 12:10 PM

Ian, Book Doctors charges $250 for an hour consultation. My editor is charging me $450 for a one-hundred-sixty pages of my book developmental edit. I'll have it by the end of the week. I have chosen her on the basis of critiques of pieces we have both read and commented on. I feel that our thinking is in sync. I'll let you know whether I think the money was worth it in a few days. Smart pitches are great, but I'm going to start the process with a professional review of my product. 

Preferences
§
-
=
Backspace

Tab
q
w
e
r
t
y