RSS Feed Print
An experiment
Jay Greenstein
Posted: Wednesday, September 4, 2013 11:53 PM
For some time I’ve been sitting on a six novel romance series, linked by the theme of a magical ring. By today’s standards they’re short, in the 65-75k word range. Added to that, while they have a single element of what appears to be magic, they’re not what most people might expect from fantasy. A benign were-mermaid, for example, is hard to classify.

Given that (and rejection slips, of course) I’ve decided to try an experiment. As an audition, I’m giving away volume one on SmashWords (https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/354103).

I’ll charge for the other five, and see how it goes. I realize that bad sales could be the fault of my writing, of course, but I’ll judge success based on the sales of book two and so on.

So far, in the day since I published it there have been 128 downloads, and I’ve done no real promotion, so the blurb, at least, seems to work. I’ll let you know how it goes

--edited by Jay Greenstein on 9/5/2013, 10:38 PM--

Brandi Larsen
Posted: Thursday, September 5, 2013 12:12 PM

Jay, congratulations on your book launch! Do you have a link to it? I searched their site under your name, but the search showed no results. Does it have an adult filter on it?

--edited by Brandi Larsen on 9/5/2013, 12:13 PM--

Lucy Silag
Posted: Thursday, September 5, 2013 4:03 PM

Hi Jay--

Congrats on the release of the first book of the series! I want to go check it out--what's the title?

Lucy

Jay Greenstein
Posted: Thursday, September 5, 2013 10:41 PM

I've fixed the post to show the view. For unknown reasons the site didn't paste it properly and I didn't notice.

The series is called, Sisterhood of the Ring, and the first title is Water Dance. The next two release two weeks apart, beginning two weeks from now. So far downloads are at 160.

--edited by Jay Greenstein on 9/5/2013, 10:42 PM--

Jay Greenstein
Posted: Tuesday, September 17, 2013 10:21 PM
In the thirteen days since release 320 copies were downloaded and two reviews were posted. Not world shaking, but good. The next part of the experiment comes on the 22nd when the second in the series releases. That one isn't free. We shall see if the free audition helps.
Brandi Larsen
Posted: Tuesday, September 24, 2013 11:50 AM

Congrats on the download numbers, Jay! Here's to a successful series!
Jay Greenstein
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2014 12:44 AM

An update:

The end of year figures are in, and though I'm not getting rich, I'm pretty damn happy.

Total downloads for 2013 =  6787 The vast majority are the free download of Water Dance.

That breaks down to

Amazon   2500

Smashwords   630

Barnes and Noble  3237

Apple  225

Deisel 10

Page Foundry 12

Sony 173

While sales of the others in the series only amount to a few hundred dollars, this does show some interesting patterns.

First, the number of downloads from B&N are significantly greater then Amazon. And while the number of customer reviews on Amazon for Water Dance is four, B&N resulted in eleven. Are they kinder there? Seems so. biggrin

But what matters is that everything but Kindle came through the Smashwords release. So while many may look down on Smashwords, the package they offer is actually more effective in reaching readers than Kindle.

So far only four of the six novels are released, and with each release there's another surge of downloads for Water Dance.

And that's something else worth noting/ When you release a series, each new release results in very few sales for that title, because readers, if that storty sounds interesting, will, rather than buying, head for the first in the series. Will those thousands of downloads result in sales of the other novels down the line?

One certainly hopes so.

I'l let you know. But one way or the other, tonight, I'm pretty happy.

Mimi Speike
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2014 11:55 AM

Thanks for the info, Jay. This is similar to what I'm planning to try. Keep us posted. 

How did I miss this? I jump on any discussion with your name on it. I will download your first book and start reading.

--edited by Mimi Speike on 1/12/2014, 12:08 PM--

Perry
Posted: Monday, January 13, 2014 4:26 AM

I too thank you for posting an update on your experiment. I've heard of others who have given away books as a marketing tool, but never saw their results.

I've had two short story collections published by a small traditional publisher. I have an appreciative though small audience, and I look for ways to find readers.

Lucy Silag
Posted: Monday, January 13, 2014 12:02 PM

Hi Jay--this is really great info, thank you so much for being generous and sharing the specifics.

And congrats--this looks like it's been a true success!

Lucy

Book Country Community and Engagement Manager

Nevena Georgieva
Posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2014 3:12 PM

Yes, thank you! It's always great to see real-life examples. 

And well done!

Nevena

Jump to different Forum...