RSS Feed Print
Summer Slacker Writing Challenge Take Two
Alexander Hollins
Posted: Monday, July 29, 2013 1:01 AM

As the story we were working on in another thread has taken a life of its own for a little, for those interested, I am continuing with my original prompt here. It is a round robin story, 1000 words or less, try to keep the flow, no sudden massive shifts in story, intro new characters WITH the old (and it's really not nice to remove the last chapter with "it was all a dream", k? k. ) 

If you are interested in writing, let us know here, and we'll add you to the list.  For my first writer, I pick... MIMI! (you need the break from vampire nuns. )

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

It was a dark and stormy night. Johan looked out at the street, what little he could see through the slit in the blinds, held open with one finger. Rain washed down the outside of the glass, f the world outside twisting and churning under flickering street lights.

The shrill sound of the microwave broke Johan from his reverie, and letting the slats close, he turned to collect his lonely, one man meal. Walking towards the kitchen, his eyes fell on a picture standing on a shelf, surrounded by smaller knick knacks. He smiled wistfully, then frowned and walked past.

Minutes later he sat at a small table in the corner off his kitchen. The TV dinner was still hot, and he waited, listening to the rain, thinking to himself. A long sigh dragged from him, and he turned to face the picture on the far wall again.

“Another night alone. The kind of night you loved, before...”

Johan trailed off, realizing that he held his phone in his hands, finger over a speedial button.

“No, not... No, I’m not calling!”

He slid the phone across the table away from him. “Not calling first.” His pronouncement to the world at large hung in the air as he stubbornly began chewing down overcooked chicken and corn.

Thunder cracked and the lights grew dim for a moment. It blasted again, blue white bolts shining through the window, and the crack of thunder came almost instantly behind it. The lights fell away completely, the sound of the heater fan, the fridge compressor, all was dark and silent except for the howling wind and streaming rain.

Johan reached over and snagged his phone just as the screen started to darken. That small source of illumination gave him confidence, and he walked back to the window. A quick glance confirmed it was a larger area than just his house. The darkness outside broke in an instant as the sky lit in a fire of red and purple. He pulled the blinds away from the window, staring at the sky open mouthed. As if on it’s own volition, fingers pressed on the speed dial they’d hovered over, and Johan raised his phone to his face.

A few rings, and then that voice, so familiar and dear, answered.

“Yeah, it’s me. You looking outside? Yeah, that’s what it looks like to me too.”

He hung up the line, staring up as the giant metal shell hanging in the sky split open, and thousands of small dots flew away from it, getting larger by the moment.

It was a dark and stormy night.  Johan looked out at the street, what little he could see through the slit  in the blinds, held open with one finger.  Rain washed down the outside of the glass, f the world outside twisting and churning under flickering street lights.

The shrill sound of the microwave broke Johan from his reverie, and letting the slats close, he turned to collect his lonely, one man meal.  Walking towards the kitchen, his eyes fell on a picture standing on a shelf, surrounded by smaller knick knacks.  He smiled wistfully, then frowned and walked past.

Minutes later he sat at a small table in the corner off his kitchen. The TV dinner was still hot, and he waited, listening to the rain, thinking to himself.  A long sigh dragged from him, and he turned to face the picture on the far wall again.

Johan trailed off, realizing that he held his phone in his hands, finger over a speedial button.

He slid the phone across the table away from him. “Not calling first.”  His pronouncement to the world at large hung in the air as he stubbornly began chewing down overcooked chicken and corn.

Thunder cracked and the lights grew dim for a moment.  It blasted again, blue white bolts shining through the window, and the crack of thunder came almost instantly behind it.  The lights fell away completely, the sound of the heater fan, the fridge compressor, all was dark and silent except for the howling wind and streaming rain.  

Johan reached over and snagged his phone just as the screen started to darken. That small source of illumination gave him confidence, and he walked back to the window. A quick glance confirmed it was a larger area than just his house.  The darkness outside broke in an instant as the sky lit in a fire of red and purple.  He pulled the blinds away from the window, staring at the sky open mouthed.  As if on it’s own volition, fingers pressed on the speed dial they’d hovered over, and Johan raised his phone to his face.   

“Yeah, it’s me.  You looking outside?  Yeah, that’s what it looks like to me too.”

He hung up the line, staring up as the giant metal shell hanging in the sky split open, and thousands of small dots flew away from it, getting larger by the moment.

- See more at: http://www.bookcountry.com/Community/Discussion/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=8589935425&page=2#sthash.HCaJEE8V.dpuf

It was a dark and stormy night.  Johan looked out at the street, what little he could see through the slit  in the blinds, held open with one finger.  Rain washed down the outside of the glass, f the world outside twisting and churning under flickering street lights.

The shrill sound of the microwave broke Johan from his reverie, and letting the slats close, he turned to collect his lonely, one man meal.  Walking towards the kitchen, his eyes fell on a picture standing on a shelf, surrounded by smaller knick knacks.  He smiled wistfully, then frowned and walked past.

Minutes later he sat at a small table in the corner off his kitchen. The TV dinner was still hot, and he waited, listening to the rain, thinking to himself.  A long sigh dragged from him, and he turned to face the picture on the far wall again.

He slid the phone across the table away from him. “Not calling first.”  His pronouncement to the world at large hung in the air as he stubbornly began chewing down overcooked chicken and corn.

Thunder cracked and the lights grew dim for a moment.  It blasted again, blue white bolts shining through the window, and the crack of thunder came almost instantly behind it.  The lights fell away completely, the sound of the heater fan, the fridge compressor, all was dark and silent except for the howling wind and streaming rain.  

Johan reached over and snagged his phone just as the screen started to darken. That small source of illumination gave him confidence, and he walked back to the window. A quick glance confirmed it was a larger area than just his house.  The darkness outside broke in an instant as the sky lit in a fire of red and purple.  He pulled the blinds away from the window, staring at the sky open mouthed.  As if on it’s own volition, fingers pressed on the speed dial they’d hovered over, and Johan raised his phone to his face.   

“Yeah, it’s me.  You looking outside?  Yeah, that’s what it looks like to me too.”

- See more at: http://www.bookcountry.com/Community/Discussion/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=8589935425&page=2#sthash.HCaJEE8V.dpuf

Mimi Speike
Posted: Wednesday, July 31, 2013 2:18 PM

Alexander, this repeats again and again. At first I thought you had edited it, and added new material. Could you fix it up? I'm thinking about where to go with it. I'll have something shortly.
Mimi Speike
Posted: Sunday, August 4, 2013 3:46 PM

Don't lose hope, people. I'm trying out a couple of different directions. I'll have something up shortly.

I may give you two choices and let you decide.

--edited by Mimi Speike on 8/4/2013, 3:47 PM--

Mimi Speike
Posted: Tuesday, August 13, 2013 11:31 AM

In case you all think I've gone belly up, I'm still on it. I'm still wrestling with this thing. I've got something that answers a few questions for me (like, what the hell is going on?) but I'm also kicking the can down the road. I'm having to do a little research on engineering. I can't throw up something that I didn't put as much thought into as I would a piece of my own. If I'm being tiresome, I'm sorry. I'm anal, I admit it. I'll have it up in another day, I promise.
Michael R Hagan
Posted: Thursday, August 15, 2013 3:39 PM

Hey all,

Logged on for the first time in ages and just found this new thread. I've lain my head in the oven for the last week or so, and was swearing never to pick up a pen again, but I might ask to play with yo'al here, if you'll have me.

I'm away for a small holiday for 5 days and will see where you're at when I return. By then my meds should have kicked in and I'll be ready for anything.

See you then; best wishes,

Mike

BTW Electric ovens are sheer pointless... who knew?..................Though at least my hair is nicely volumised now.

Mimi Speike
Posted: Thursday, August 15, 2013 4:17 PM

Oh, Mike! I'm deep into theories of engineering, and totally out of my comfort zone. If I don't have a piece up by the time you're ready, could you please take the wheel?

I'm trying to imagine a civilization here, and it's damn hard. Overkill, don't say it. I told you all I'm anal.

--edited by Mimi Speike on 8/15/2013, 4:18 PM--

Jump to different Forum...