RSS Feed Print
funny mistakes you've made
MariAdkins
Posted: Wednesday, July 24, 2013 10:52 PM

I was thinking about starting this thread when I was responding to another post elsewhere on the board - Ian had asked about starting a website as an unpublished writer, and I went on about stuff I like to post on my site. Stuff like this is some of that. I know we've all done this. I wanted to share some of mine. And a couple or three of these aren't even typos. I'm prone to the same whether I'm writing longhand or am typing up later. tongueout

As he watched her, he also, with the most gentle of touches, porbled her mind, searched her memories to learn what she had overheard within her family.

…she said, “But compires aren’t real!”

As Elder of Anethdraeg, his senses and abilities were far sharper and stronger than any other vampire in the computer, his age not withstanding.

Everyone hoped he would have at least one child, else when his time came–far in the further everyone prayed–…

Even so, bits and pieces of information came through, the buick of which meant nothing to him.

He kissed Abigail goodbye and gathered his hoat and cat from the hallway closet.

Anger and pain flashed in Frank’s eyes, pale blue eyes like his daughter’s, but he hid the emoticons well.

She curcled up against him and was soon back to sleep.

He wrangled his sister out of the driver’s seat enough to slide his own buick behind the wheel…

He had always been a deep sleeper; his immediate family joked that a bimbo could go off beside him and he would never hear it.

She refused to stop long enough to tell him what was wrong and, grabbing his head, pulled him along behind her through the house.

Chloë almost snuked amd ;aigjed.

Impatient, he giggled his keys in his palm.

What are some of your favorite mistakes?

TerminalVerbosity
Posted: Monday, January 13, 2014 10:56 AM

The most recent mistake I noticed is that when I pause to think about what to write next, I almost always start the next sentence with "but." It's like the written equivalent of the word "um" when speaking. Oops! Seriously, 4-5 per chapter through an entire manuscript, most completely and utterly unnecessary. Thank goodness for global find and replace!
Linnea Ren
Posted: Thursday, February 13, 2014 12:40 PM

I make so many mistakes it isn't funny. When I'm writing I don't fully read what I'm writing because I think about 3000 times faster than I can type so it's all confusing, but one of the greatest had to be a few days ago. Right now I'm writing four books at once: two in first person, two in third, two romance/slice of life, and two fantasy (different degrees). What I do is I write one chapter in one, then move to the next, and so on, and it's working pretty well. Except once when I switched from a third person to a first person one. I wasn't paying too much attention, and I wrote three pages (single spaced, times new roman) in third person. When I finally realized my mistake, I was so embarrassed! It didn't take too long to fix, but now I read the previous chapter before I start writing, just to make sure I'm writing in the correct POV. 

~Linnea

Michael R Hagan
Posted: Monday, October 20, 2014 4:21 PM

Once finished carefully inspecting my sub letters and partials, and finally happy everything was set to show the work and myself in the best light poss; even daring to suggest my Novel, Demiurge, would be at home beside Dan Brown's Inferno on the bookshelf... I sent them off to all the painstakingly and carefully chosen, most promising literary agents I was hoping to entice, in one fair swoop, realising 5 mins after I'd posted them, I'd spelt Brown with an 'e' on the end.

Funny now; at the time...not so much.

Mike

Lucy Silag - Book Country Community Manager
Posted: Monday, October 20, 2014 4:24 PM

@Michael: OUCH!! That is really rough.
chatebooks
Posted: Friday, June 3, 2016 12:13 PM

Mistakes should not discourage authors. It should serve as a learning experience to help improve/ master his craft. Making mistakes is normal so there's no room for disappointments.

ChatEbooks recently posted https://www.chatebooks.com/blog-Writing-a-Book-5-Tips-on-Creating-Your-Own-Writing-Sanctuary

Jump to different Forum...