RSS Feed Print
I figured it out!
MariAdkins
Posted: Wednesday, July 24, 2013 5:09 PM

This made me happy!

I've known for some time that Destiny's Story just wasn't working the way I wanted it to, but I couldn't figure out why. I thought maybe, at first, the format I had chosen just wasn't working. I wanted my 15 year old FMC to write journal entries.

I've been doing a lot of thinking about this story since my father-in-law passed last month. It's funny what gets a writer's mind working toward the right direction. Anyway, I'd been trying to decipher the problem and find a solution. Of course, you can't prescribe a fix without a diagnosis, so for a while there, I just went around in circles. As if my ADHD brain doesn't need more circles to navigate.

The problem is two-fold.

1. I started the story entirely too early
  2. The narrative needs divided into months -- such as what I did with the Midnight stories -- not diary entries

So now, I get to sit down with the new starting point and get on from there.

Lucy Silag
Posted: Wednesday, July 24, 2013 5:32 PM

@Mari--this is awesome! I love this. Congratulations!

I'd love for this to become a thread where other BC members can post when they "figure it out" for their YA and Middle Grade work, too.

Let's keep sharing when this happens. It's sooooo heartening to see, and there are so many kernels of wisdom that we can draw from each others' triumphs. 

Thanks for starting this, Mari--it's the start of something wonderful, I think!

Lucy

Book Country Community and Engagement Manager

MariAdkins
Posted: Wednesday, July 24, 2013 9:31 PM
thanks - and you're welcome
Nevena Georgieva
Posted: Thursday, July 25, 2013 5:30 PM

Is that the YA project you were talking about in your member spotlight? That's awesome! ~muppet flail~
Mari Adkins
Posted: Thursday, July 25, 2013 6:10 PM
Yes, ma'am, it is. It's something I started two years ago last month and thought, "Oh, I'll just be able to sit down and whip this out and have fun with it." I thought that because I had so much about the FMC and the plot inside my head. I was wrong.

Well, I have had fun with it, but it's just like anything else I've written - not a game and a lot of work. biggrin 

PhoxzeeJae
Posted: Wednesday, November 13, 2013 10:51 AM

It is always a great feeling when you finally figure out something that has not been working and can make it right. I am working on my first book ever and to be honest have ran into that problem more often than not.  A few thing I have managed to fix though so I can understand your excitement.
Aira Philipps
Posted: Sunday, November 24, 2013 7:10 PM

Mari I did the exact same thing with my first draft. I was in such a hurry to get my plot across, I blew it by giving it all away too soon. Dissecting it was a bear, I had to start from the beginning and meld parts in. Then I had to re-edit to make sure I had done the transition smoothly.  It's well worth it. Good luck!

Jump to different Forum...