RSS Feed Print
It's the End of the World: What are YOU reading???
Colleen Lindsay
Posted: Saturday, May 21, 2011 4:37 PM

To celebrate today's forthcoming Apocalypse, I thought we could all share our favorite dystopian/end-of-the-world/end-of-civilization novels and short stories. (There's a hashtag if you want to share on Twitter, too: #ApocalypseReads)

I'll start with some of my favorites:

EARTH ABIDES by George Stewart
THE CITY NOT LONG AFTER by Pat Murphy
THE STAND by Stephen King
THE PASSAGE by Justin Cronin

What are yours???

Danielle Bowers
Posted: Saturday, May 21, 2011 4:45 PM

Well, from the twitter feed,here's the ones I've posted that are favorites....

ALAS, BABYLON by Pat Frank
YEAR ZERO by Jeff Long
SWAN SONG by Robert R. McCammon ***VERY good
GOLDEN DAYS by Carolyn See **Another favorite
THE YEAR OF THE FLOOD by Margaret Atwood
LIFE AS WE KNEW IT by Susan Pfeffer * YA three book series
THE STAND by Stephen King **All time favorite book
Schuyler Esperanza
Posted: Saturday, May 21, 2011 5:11 PM

I've read the LIFE AS WE KNEW IT series--enjoyed a lot of it, if by enjoyed I mean was terrified and very hungry!--and am really looking forward to ORYX AND CRAKE & THE YEAR OF THE FLOOD by Atwood. I've just begun a group blog focusing on dystopian books and books with dystopian elements (streeetching the definition by a lot, in some cases). Received a solid review of ORYX AND CRAKE that really makes me want to read it and its sequel.

If you liked what you've read of Atwood, try THE HANDMAID'S TALE. It's a classic dystopian story with a lot of gender angles to it.

Very glad for this thread, as I'm always looking for books in my favorite genre!
Carl E Reed
Posted: Saturday, May 21, 2011 6:53 PM

My personal top 10 (in no particular order):

THE STAND - Stephen King (in its full, uncut version)

DAMNATION ALLEY - Roger Zelazny (Go, Hell Tanner!)

A CANTICLE FOR LEIBOWITZ - Walter M. Miller, Jr. (science fiction as literature)

FLOW MY TEARS, THE POLICEMAN SAID - Philip K. Dick ("If I am moody, it is because the things that have happened to me have MADE me moody.")

LUCIFER'S HAMMER - Larry Niven & Jerry Pournelle (A breathless, edge-of-your seat page-turner of a disaster novel.)

BLACK EASTER - James Blish (A sociopathic arms dealer contracts with a black magician to unleash all the demons of hell upon the earth. 'Nuff said!)

I AM LEGEND - Richard Matheson (The ending made me gasp out loud.)

THE ROAD - Cormac McCarthy (A work of terrible, soul-wrenching force: truly nasty bits of violence alternating with poetic prose passages of startling weirdness and beauty.)

FAHRENHEIT 451 - Ray Bradbury (A work of absolute genius. Not a word is wasted.)

1984 - George Orwell (Can one overstate the critical importance or the lasting cultural impact of this novel? Its very title has become a synonym for "totalitarian Big-brother police state".)

Danielle Poiesz
Posted: Saturday, May 21, 2011 9:38 PM
I honestly haven't read a lot of dystopian (yet!) but you guys have all given some great suggestions here!

Of the ones I have read, though, I've got to say my faves would be FAHRENHEIT 451 and THE HUNGER GAMES--clearly two very different works but both are incredibly entertaining, thought-provoking, and powerful.
Trailer Bride
Posted: Monday, May 23, 2011 4:57 PM

Nevil Shute "On The Beach".

Children/YA Books seem to do this particularly well:
- The Hunger Games trilogy
- Uglies/Pretties/Specials/Extras
- City Of Ember series
- The Girl Who Owned A City
- Margaret Peterson Haddix's "Hidden" series

(I'm also writing an End Of The World story myself, but it's on the back burner while I focus on the book I have posted here. Hopefully I'll get it done before the next rapture)

Trailer Bride
Posted: Monday, May 23, 2011 4:59 PM

Oh, and if we're going to applaud the Hunger Games, we should also recognize Koushun Takami's "Battle Royale".
Chumplet
Posted: Tuesday, May 24, 2011 5:21 PM
I picked up the DVD on May 21 but didn't watch till yesterday, but THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY is a unique take on the end of the world.

"So long, and thanks for all the fish."
Schuyler Esperanza
Posted: Thursday, May 26, 2011 2:23 PM

Just started reading BRAVE NEW WORLDS: DYSTOPIAN STORIES, edited by John Joseph Adams. A collection of amazing authors and stories--some classic, some newer. Shirley Jackson, Kurt Vonnegut, Neil Gaiman, Ursula K. Le Guin, Paolo Bacigalupi--are you salivating yet? So the world didn't end; now we have all this time to read more dystopian lit! If you love short stories, or want a taste of different authors in the genre, this book is the one.
Tim Gordon
Posted: Saturday, May 28, 2011 5:55 AM

I enjoyed THE ROAD, though I read that one in Spanish to try to keep my Spanish up, so I think some parts I actually made up by my misinterpretation.

I also loved CAT'S CRADLE by Vonnegut. I don't know if that really counts since only the very end is all apocalypse, but still a good book.

Oh, and I totally forgot about EARTH ABIDES until I looked on my Shelfari. It's a pretty awesome story about how life just will go on even if we come back from a camping trip to find almost all the world's population is inexplicably gone. My grandpa was a HS Biology teacher for years and it was one of his favorite books.
Tony Colina
Posted: Friday, February 3, 2012 12:24 PM
well, given the er... peculiar moment concerned I think I'd re-read/watch (for the nth time) Samuel Beckett's Endgame.
then, strange as it might sound, I'd re-read David Peace's GB84 (based on the one-year strike of miners in England and Wales of '84/'85, the apocalypse of the working class in Great Britain, I s'pose)....and Orwell's Animal Farm (just to remember even in the afterlife where it went all wrong down here)

Jump to different Forum...