RSS Feed Print
I've been in the desert for most of my life....
Perry Tercel
Posted: Thursday, April 25, 2013 7:33 PM
I'm 50 and I haven't wrote anything in almost 28 years. Over two years ago, an idea popped into my head and then......nothing. Last year, I got a calling, from the Lord, to write for children and YA. Now, not only did that first idea turn into a four-book epic fantasy story,(YA and up) but I also got the stories for seven other books, in a collection, a science-fiction trilogy, and a five-book fantasy-epic series about a family of sisters. I have all these books, to write -already finished the first book of the seven-book collection  -and I just don't know what to do, now. I feel weird being bold -this is new country for me - but I know I need this first book read to continue with my mission. I want to upload 'The Unicorn Hero' but I don't know if I need to copywright, first, or what? (I'm also still learning Micro-soft Word and how to use a computer.) This is a children's book, but it's a chapter book as a 'read-to' for the family. Sorry; I'm not kidding when I say I've been in the desert for most of my life! Can someone help me out, please? (I don't get easily offended, either. The Holy Spirit convicts me often. Praise the Lord!) Thank You, so much, to any wonderful person who responds.
Nevena Georgieva
Posted: Friday, April 26, 2013 10:19 AM

Hi Perry! Welcome to the site. It's never too late to find your calling as a writer. I'm glad you decided to join the community. 

My name is Nevena and I am the Book Country assistant, so please let me know if there are any questions that I can answer!

"The Unicorn Hero' but I don't know if I need to copywright, first, or what?"

I'm not completely sure what you mean by this question. Can you please explain? Book Country is a place where you can upload and workshop your fiction. You retain all rights to your fiction, and posting it on Book Country doesn't change your ownership rights. Does that help?

Cheers!
Nevena from BC

Perry Tercel
Posted: Friday, April 26, 2013 9:25 PM
Thank You, Nevena, and please to meet you, too!
I'm still a newborn to this site....(Truth is: this is the first social site I've ever been on. Period.) I was told, by West Bow publishing, to come here as a break-in since I don't have $1000.00+ to self-publish. That was why I was confused about getting copyright. (Sp! I knew I'd spelled that wrong!)
I actually like the workshop and experiencing other writers' visions and heart. It's like the 'box of chocolates' or opening another person's junk drawer-you never know what's inside! (I have a passion for junk drawers- they tell everything about a person.)
Anyway, you did answer my question but, I apologize, I actually found the answer after I asked the question.
Thank you again, Nevena....Cheers!

Brandi Larsen
Posted: Monday, April 29, 2013 10:07 AM

Dear Perry,

Welcome to Book Country!

There are many writers who begin later in life. Laura Ingalls Wilder is one of my favorites and she didn't publish until her mid-sixties. You have lots of time.

While we don't yet have a place for YA and children's books, we are expanding this summer. I think you'll get a lot of value from Book Country. There are many great writers here, and it's a friendly community of people who care.

Because you're new to social forums, here are two links that may be helpful:

This one is our community guidelines:
https://www.bookcountry.com/Community/Discussions/Default.aspx?id=139499

This one is a how to use Book Country:
https://www.bookcountry.com/Community/Discussions/Default.aspx?id=139499.

Please let me know if you need anything. I'm happy to help.

Best,
Brandi
Book Country Director

Perry Tercel
Posted: Saturday, May 11, 2013 1:56 PM
Thank you, Ms. Brandi, for the links and for the hospitality here. I've been getting around, slowly, and enjoying the experience. I appreciate the diplomatic honesty, from the contributors, on this site, too.
As to YA and children's books, although (as far as I know, at this time) I have only one children's book- a 'read-to' geared towards "children of all ages" -and six, 12 & up, YA's, I am glad you are considering opening up the field for those of us who write for that particular audience. (PHEW! I generally abhor long sentences!) Most of the books, in my arsenal, are for a more mature audience.
Anywise, thank you, again, for this wonderful opportunity. (And the 'open door'! I looked into 'someone' being interested in my offerings and found how absolutely naïve, I am, in this field. Publishers do not want you unless you have a legitimate agent, or have already published, (or you have the capital) and all the agents, I researched, are not only NOT interested in unpublished authors, most responses are (extremely) negative towards writers of YA fiction.... Talk about living in the desert!)
(Oh, I'm sorry; I am sure you are a 'choir director' on that above piece!)
Perry-
God bless you, all, and Book Country.

Jump to different Forum...