RSS Feed Print
Hello from Tim Niedermann
TPNiedermann
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2013 3:37 PM

I've just joined BookCountry. I am a freelance editor and ghostwriter and am trying to generate interest in my own work. What I have posted are two books: first, a paranormal thriller, A Purer Evil, about an Episcopal priest who becomes a werewolf (though I do not use the term in the book), which is the first of a series, and, second, a more literary effort, Wall of Dust, about a Palestinian schoolteacher who suffers a horrible loss. Wall of Dust has some similarities to The Alchemist in that it has a spiritual content so even though I have put in under Political Thrillers, it doesn't quite fit there.  I welcome all comments and criticism.
Brandi Larsen
Posted: Saturday, February 23, 2013 8:45 PM

Hi Tim! Welcome to Book Country! I'm the Book Country Director (new myself). Feel free to ask me if you need anything, either on the site or by email (brandi @ bookcountry).

At Book Country, you'll find a supportive group of fellow writers. It's a really amazing community.

I'm looking forward to reading your work. What are you looking for in a critique?

Best,
Brand

TPNiedermann
Posted: Saturday, February 23, 2013 11:30 PM

Dear Brandi,

I'm looking for whether it "works" as a novel--or what stands in the way of it engaging the reader. I'm trying to do a coupe of non-straightforward things (though I still need to change some sections) and want to make they are effective. All that said, any and all criticism/suggestions of whatever nature are welcome.

Thanks.

Tim
GD Deckard
Posted: Sunday, February 24, 2013 2:15 PM
Tim, I read some of Wall Of Dust somewhere else on the 'Net. Not enough to answer your question, but enough to remember it and your name. That is incredibly good writing!

Welcome to Book Country.

Mimi Speike
Posted: Sunday, February 24, 2013 2:26 PM

Welcome, Tim,

The combination of your impressive credentials and GD's recommendation are enough for me. You're on my to read list. 

TPNiedermann
Posted: Monday, May 13, 2013 4:39 PM

I've had several comments recently from readers saying that Wall of Dust is less a thriller than a literary piece, and I find I agree with that. I had tagged the book as a thriller because of its subject matter (the West Bank and the situation there) and because I wanted to attract more readers--and because I didn't consider myself a "literary" writer. But it is quite clear that the book doesn't really fit the thriller specs in terms of pacing, dialogue etc. So I am taking a deep breath and calling it "literary." This works fine, generally, but Book Country has no "literary" category on its genre map, so I feel a bit stuck. Will one be on the next revision? 
Brandi Larsen
Posted: Monday, May 20, 2013 12:47 AM

I think you'll find a home on our map.

Jump to different Forum...